Launch Member

Advocate II

St. Catharines, Ontario
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Lamarche
Member #

Essentially, since many of us drive similar vehicles (T4Rs, Land Cruisers, Jeeps, etc.), some of us surely have done some DIY maintenance and repairs. For example, I've started to do some DIY maintenance (oil changes & stuff like that) on my 4Runner. For example, once I complete some maintenance, I could post my experiences, resources that helped, part #s, tools, difficulty level, problem solving etc... and it could possibly help other owners. It could help other owners who are interested in doing more hands-on DIY stuff with their vehicles. Either you can create a guide, ask questions about maintenance & repairs, or share guides that you found for your vehicle across the internet.

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
@Jake Wettern | iamjake Kinda like a hierarchy that went:

Maintenance and Repairs -> Company -> Vehicle

For example, if someone had a question or whatever for a 4Runner the hierarchy would be:

Maintenance and Repairs -> Toyota -> 4Runner
Even if that was just a standard the title format it would be helpful... [Toyota 4runner --> How do I change the flux capacitor?]

archee29

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

St. Catharines, Ontario
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Lamarche
Member #

@Jimmy P True, that could definitely work as well. The one benefit I see to different sub sections is that it would require less searching. All your vehicles info would be in a dedicated spot.

Reactions: Jimmy P

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
@Jimmy P True, that could definitely work as well. The one benefit I see to different sub sections is that it would require less searching. All your vehicles info would be in a dedicated spot.
I totally agree. If they can't do that, then this would be the next best thing. My search fu is halfway decent most of the time, so as long as it's close I can typically find it, but having a single make specific forum to search would make things easier to narrow down.

Reactions: archee29

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

This is a cool idea. And something I have thought about from time to time. I'm not certain if at this point the amount of use it might see (not likely much) would justify the amount of resources required to accomplish it. There are literally hundreds of make specific sites and forums with detailed information about general maintenance and modifications for each vehicle. Heck there are even model specific sites for the popular ones, like Tacoma, LC, Discovery etc... Since most people use those, and with good reason as they have immense amounts of information pertaining to year/model specific vehicles, I am doubtful that there would be many folks using it here.
That doesn't mean its off the table completely. I could be way off base. @Michael @Steve what are your thoughts?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
This is a cool idea. And something I have thought about from time to time. I'm not certain if at this point the amount of use it might see (not likely much) would justify the amount of resources required to accomplish it. There are literally hundreds of make specific sites and forums with detailed information about general maintenance and modifications for each vehicle. Heck there are even model specific sites for the popular ones, like Tacoma, LC, Discovery etc... Since most people use those, and with good reason as they have immense amounts of information pertaining to year/model specific vehicles, I am doubtful that there would be many folks using it here.
That doesn't mean its off the table completely. I could be way off base. @Michael @Steve what are your thoughts?
You said it! I think there are enough vehicle specific forums and as much as I'd like a one stop shop, this forum is focused more on the overlanding side of things. Not to say it's a bad idea but I personally feel that it would clog the forum up with info that's already in dozens of places out there.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
It is a great idea in part, here are my thoughts. As @Chris Jones said that there is a plethora of model specific forums for just these types of things IE maintenance/repairs. I use the FJ cruiser forum for most of my FJ stuff because it has 11 years of FJ knowledge all in one place, 109,000 members, and that's one of the baby vehicles overlanders use. Some of the Land Cruiser forums have 30+ years of members knowledge. So my 2 cents. Yes have a section for model specific threads with links to what folks are using to find what they need.

archee29

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

St. Catharines, Ontario
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Lamarche
Member #

@TerryD @Chris Jones @mmnorthdirections Ya, true. I had thought about that myself actually. I'm often frequent the T4R forums for that type of stuff. It could possibly be useful in some way, shape, or form. I could definitely see the problem of the forum feeling clogged tho. Possibly a section for vechicle specific resources as @mmnorthdirections pointed out? An area to access external guides & websites for your vehicle?

Reactions: mmnorthdirections

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I could see having a locked thread with a list of resources for popular makes curated by someone. Not sure who. My issue with creating model specific or make specific forums is we will inadvertantly create cliques. And Jeep guys will hang in the Jeep forum and Toyota guys in the Toyota forum. I think it's a distraction to the "it doesn't matter what you drive" message. Especially since there are already some amazing resources already out there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: archee29 and TerryD

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

From the thread above, I can see both sides of the argument.

Maybe we should steer clear of this, and focus on everyone sharing experiences openly, without categorizing make / brand.

Don't for get there is a DIY thread already
Overland Gear > Overland Do It Yourself Projects
Here, we can all submit a post, about our latest DIY fixes, whatever the make of vehicle...