RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I'm trying to figure out how to put a 2nd battery in the bed of my 2014 Tacoma. Putting it there isn't the issue, it's figuring out how to get the wires into the bed and what size to run. I want to put it in the front right corner of the bed. The main battery is located in the front left of the engine compartment and I have a double cab. I was thinking of using a Blue Sea ACR or something like that.

How do I figure out how much current I will expect to flow between the batteries in a worst case normal operating condition situation like the house battery is discharged and the truck battery just reached full charge and the relay connects the two? If I knew that I would be able to figure out what size wire to use.

As for getting the wires through the bed I was thinking of using bulkhead terminals like these through the side wall of the bed. I'm very open to other ideas though!

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Unless you need it in the bed for some reason, there is room to put two batteries under the hood on those. I made a battery tray on top of the right fender well. I have the trd off-road so there’s no abs stuff there. If you have the abs stuff there you can fit two batteries sideways where the factory battery is. Then you wouldn’t have to run huge cables back there, and just run whatever’s appropriate for the accessories. I used 1 ga for my setup because it was free and the blue sea acr with 150a buss breakers. It’s worked great for my fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Unless you need it in the bed for some reason, there is room to put two batteries under the hood on those. I made a battery tray on top of the right fender well. I have the trd off-road so there’s no abs stuff there. If you have the abs stuff there you can fit two batteries sideways where the factory battery is. Then you wouldn’t have to run huge cables back there, and just run whatever’s appropriate for the accessories. I used 1 ga for my setup because it was free and the blue sea acr with 150a buss breakers. It’s worked great for my fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I have the sport so my ABS is in the way. Also, I can't fit two group 31 batteries up front.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app