Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Until recently, camp cooking for us was sharpening a few sticks and roasting some hot-dogs or sausages over the fire. I do still like that, add some mustard and enjoy! But, I also like good, hardy meals! When I found my Coleman stove, it came with a 8" Lodge cast-iron pan which I've been carrying in my small mess box on the last couple trips and it works good. My buddy Matt also has the Stanley prep kit that has a couple bowls and "plates" nested in a small pot that we used on the stove to fix rice to go with the steak fajitas we were fixing in the pan on our last trip.

However, the wife and I are feed 5 mouths instead of just two like it is when it's just Matt and myself out somewhere. I watched a video on You-Tube not long ago and at camp, one of the guys was using a Sea to Summit X-Pot and before I dump $50-60 into one, I wanted to see if anyone on here has any experience with it? I found one at Sportsman's Warehouse that comes with two bowls and cups for $109 and I think we'll go that way if everyone agrees it's worth it.

So, my questions:

How do they hold up? I try to take care of my gear but stuff happens and doubly so with small kids involved.

Can you use them on a Coleman white gas stove or is that too much heat for them vs propane?

Any other advice or options?

Thanks guys!

TBarr

Rank 0

Contributor I

I do not have any experience with the x-pot but I do have one of their x-bowls for backpacking. It was great in the beginning, folded up small and light weight, but ended up wearing a few small holes in the side of it making it next to useless.

If you do end up getting one I would recommend paying attention to what it is stored with, no forks or anything sharp or pointed that could create holes.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Good to know! I've been going back and forth with this and have not pulled the trigger on that yet. I've been considering a large MSR pot that I could pack other things inside of in my mess box as well. I bought the 750mL one a few weeks ago to see how it works for us.

Lewie

Rank 0

Contributor I

I have the one an a half litre x pot. An think it's great. They have a life time warranty so any problems let them no an they should help you out. Not shore about your stove. I just use mine on a hiking stove or my jet boil. You have no worries with the flame reaching the silicone that way you could use your stove you just mite not be able to turn it up to high.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
With Gander Mountain going out of business I picked up one of the mid sized XPots today for 10% off. We're looking forward to giving it a test run soon! I'll try to keep this thread updated with how it goes.

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I have an X Pot which I only use with a Coleman propane stove. As mentioned by one of the replies, my main concern with using it on the Coleman white gas stove is that the flames will lick the silicone wall and damage it. So far so good, and the nested bowls and cups are great space savers. That being said, I still use my titanium pot more often than not. I think they're MSR's with one smaller pot and lid nested in the larger outer pot. Both have lids which double as frying pans. Even with the nested feature, they still take up a bit of room so we've stored other cooking items (e.g., cooking oils, spices, anything that'll fit) to recover some of that wasted space.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
It's been long enough, but I finally tried out my XPOT today. We're looking for some one pot meals for our trip this summer and I grabbed a box of Zataran's jambalaya and a smoked sausage to fix supper tonight.

I used it on my 414 Coleman stove. This was also it's first time in service.

Being aware the flame would wreck the silicon, I started with it turned down and then raised the heat while watching the flame to make sure it didn't flare up. It worked out great! No issues with the flame and the jambalaya turned out great. Not homemade by any stretch but good stuff for out of a box.

I think the XPOT will definitely have a spot in our mess box this summer. The size is perfect for 5-6 people for a single meal and it cleaned up quick and easy. We've got to find a few more one or two pot meals to figure out now.

20180128_162242.jpg

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I know this is an older thread, but I have had my XPOT for 2 years not and it is great. I use it while motorcycle camping and I love that it takes up very little space.
I have a small camp stove and as long as the flame stays off the sides and just on the bottom I have had no issues.
It cooks fairly well, but it is thin on the bottom so you need to keep thing moving. Clean up is easy too.
The only issue I have had is that being on a motorcycle the space is limited and I have had things packed real tight and I got a small crack in the lid. But keep in mind I have been packing everything I take in less space than most of you have in your coolers.