scouting for new dispersed camping spots

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Sally & I spent all afternoon into early evening hours up in the Sylamore National Forest (Ozarks) wheeling the roads, exploring & looking for new dispersed camping spots.
We saw some beautiful country along with some wildlife: whitetail deer & a bobcat. We entered quite a few GPS coordinates for us to camp.

We stopped for lunch @ Jo Jo's for fried catfish & fried clams with all the fixings then to Big Flat for a few cold drafts @ Gravity Brewery.

For "me" I never hit any trails without being alway prepared with recovery gear. I drive a 2000 GMC z71 extended cab truck, stock 5.3 Liter motor, performance built 4L60E transmission, 3:73 rear end ratio, suspension is stock height w\ Bilstein shocks, has a 12,000lb winch up front with 75ft. 7\16" Master Pull Classic synthetic winch rope with Factor 55 fairlead. Tires I run are: 265x75Rx16" Cooper Discovery AT's.

Stored under rear seat of my truck is a rigging bag (2nd bag from the left) consist of:
4 - 3/4" Shackles
1 - 2" x 20ft. 20,000lbs. breaking strength Recovery Strap
1 - 17,000 lbs. Snatch Block
3"x 6' 30,000 lbs. Tree Saver
Trail Gloves, 2 pares for me & the wife
cord winch remote

stored under rear seat of truck next to rigging bag under towel
Spare \ Extra 7\16" x 50ft. Master Pull Classic Synthetic Winch Rope 21,500lbs. breaking strength
25 ft of 3/8″ Dyneema 18,500lbs. breaking strength extension rope

The bag furthest right (red) is a First Aid \ Trama Bag , then Tool Kit (black) 2nd bag from right, 1st bag on the left (tan) is Viair 400p portable 12v. air compressor for air'n down or air'n up my tires. The back of the bed of my truck I toss 2 set's of XBull traction boards.
010.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 013.JPG 012.JPG 022.JPG

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
You sir are very well prepared. I'm with you. I do have to be careful though as space is at a premium. Do we really need 3 safety kits? Do I really need to drag around any more than four shackles? Do I really need three 17mm wrenches and sockets combined? You seem to have sorted out just the right amount of stuff. I'm still working on taking what we might need and what we will never need. I'm just a slow learner..... BTW, I PM'ed you a while back. We may still be headed through your part of the country.....