Launch Member

Advocate III

Northeast Arkansas
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Planning a 5 day trip to Great Smoky Mountain National Park around July 4th weekend. I’ll have my overland ready ZR2 and my parents with their small SUV and motorcycle. Looking for the most recommended views either on or off road through the park and the surrounding areas. If we need to offroad, we’ll drop the women and kids off at a mall or something and my dad and I will take the ZR2 if its worth it. Main things we want to see are obviously great long distance mountain pass views, waterfalls, creeks/streams, and maybe a nice historic stop. My dad is a U.S. history buff. Don’t feel obligated to share coordinates or routes, I can find my way around with Gaia GPS and Google Maps. I just need general pointers from those who have been or from locals on what places are must see and what places to avoid. Camp sites are welcome as well since I will have my RTT and all camping gear just in case.

Thanks!

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

The Park is generally a zoo over July 4th but, with COVID19, who knows what it will be like this year. The Visitor Centers in GSMNP are good places to stop for info and all three have a number of exhibits. Elk, turkey and other wildlife are common in the meadows near the VC on the southern (Cherokee) end. The Cades Cove wildlife loop is a nice 2-3 hour drive with stops at the various historic buildings - could take longer if you hit some of the trails to waterfalls and other POI. There's no offroading and very limited back road driving options within the Park. Parsons Branch near the Cades Cove VC is the closest I can think of and it may be closed - check with staff. There's also a one way dirt road from Balsam Mountain Campground down to Cherokee that's probably open. Cataloochee is another section of the Park with historic buildings and guaranteed elk sightings for late afternoon visitors. The Cradle of Forestry is a good way to spend a few hours if anyone is interested in the timber impact on the area and the kids might enjoy the nearby Sliding Rock recreation area. Also not in the Park but a couple of options we enjoy is the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad trip out of Bryson City to Nantahala Outdoor Center. They did offer a 'ride and raft' combo at one time. Your best chance to avoid the crowds, get in some dirt road driving and dispersed camping will be in within the National Forests. Order the MVUMs and detail maps for Nantahala, Pisgah and Cherokee National Forests. FS81 in Nantahala NF connects to Forest Service roads in Cherokee NF and you can easily play for a full day without hitting pavement.

Reactions: NathanPAnderson