Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
I have a Tab4 I have been thinking of loading a GPS topo map app on. Anyone have any experience with the Tab4 and top map apps they would share. Pros/cons etc.

Thanks

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I have a Tab4 I have been thinking of loading a GPS topo map app on. Anyone have any experience with the Tab4 and top map apps they would share. Pros/cons etc.

Thanks
I have one as well, what I'm using to surf the web as we speak. It is also the very reason I bought it for. I also have an older tab a that I used to have back country navigator loaded to. It worked fine except for the lack of memory. I'm haven't loaded anything to it yet but debating which app I'll load to it. So I'm open to suggestions too. Might load the same app. Just waiting to see if there is a better one for the android platform.

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine

Thanks
I have one as well, what I'm using to surf the web as we speak. It is also the very reason I bought it for. I also have an older tab a that I used to have back country navigator loaded to. It worked fine except for the lack of memory. I'm haven't loaded anything to it yet but debating which app I'll load to it. So I'm open to suggestions too. Might load the same app. Just waiting to see if there is a better one for the android platform.
Did you use in WiFi or with a GPS feature? Still looking for the GPS settings on mine.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

When I used Back country navigator, I just loaded the tiles from the app. Then the area was pre-loaded and once you are in range you can see where you are at in the map you preloaded. The neat thing is with it you have tha ability to purchase and load the trail maps from Fun-treks. Loading the trail systems from each books GPS maps. Pretty straightforward. Once you do it a few times it gets pretty easy

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

GPS Is preloaded in the device and once you start the app. With the tiles pre loaded you don't need to have service to use the maps in the back country. Just need clear line to satellites above. We used it all over the Ouray area and San Juan's mountains to navigate all the trails we wanted to do. On our first trip down there.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Oh man , I'm mistaken, mine is a Tab A, yours doesn't have GPS I'm sorry I miss spoke. My old one was a Samsung Nook from barns n nobles that didn’t have the memory. Mine is a Tab A has 32g''s of memory as opposed to the 8G's the nook had, both have GPS though.

Last edited: