Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Harrisburg, PA, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Spent this past weekend in Roth Rock disperse camping at site #4. Great views with the leaves changing colors and can't wait to get back and explore more.

Had to take the VW Tiguan since I had a transmission issue pop up with the Trooper. Space was a bit tight, but no issues on Wampler, the only high-clearance road we tried besides having to take it at 4mph and watch for rocks.

Hit a couple trails and checked off a few purple lizards. Indian Wells was incredible and probably my favorite view. Keith Springs is easily accessible and worth it. Quinn's Rock is underwhelming compared to the other two.

A couple photos from our trip:
Not sure how many of you in Central PA have got the membership and are on the app, but I've been slowly adding resources to the crowd-sourced map from my trip. Looks like some stuff has been added for Bald Eagle, but really nothing for Rothrock. I appreciate the crowd-sourced stuff for planning purposes, fwiw.

• Love
Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
@Dusther210 was trying to post some of my routes.

I unfortunately can not access the SD card they are on anymore. I have them shared on Facebook...and a member here posted slot of them in one big dump.

I really dislike electronic devices, so most of my information is logged on paper maps and notebooks in this backpack (4th Edition Bald Eagle Map)IMG_20221101_112527.jpg

Of course, slot of my routes and information are somewhere in my many ramblings in the threads I post

And google maps has made it hard to trust routes with them as they reroute the wrong damn way.

But here is my Central PA Overland route if you somehow missed it.Screenshot_20221031-091110~2.png

Central Pennsylvania Overlanding

Thanks for adding your routes...people sure do like following GAIA and the such.

Hope to cross paths with you, especially in Rothrock. Such a beautiful place.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Thanks for sharing! @DevilDodge
You rock! You’re always posting up quality useful info for this community and it’s really appreciated! I have my own issues with technology. Having the analog stuff and the skills to put it to use is a must, especially if you’re using google maps and get rerouted the wrong way

I unfortunately can not access the SD card they are on anymore. I have them shared on Facebook...and a member here posted slot of them in one big dump.

I really dislike electronic devices, so most of my information is logged on paper maps and notebooks in this backpack (4th Edition Bald Eagle Map)View attachment 243887

Of course, slot of my routes and information are somewhere in my many ramblings in the threads I post

And google maps has made it hard to trust routes with them as they reroute the wrong damn way.

But here is my Central PA Overland route if you somehow missed it.View attachment 243888

Thanks for adding your routes...people sure do like following GAIA and the such.

Zach_42a0dc

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Harrisburg, PA, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I really dislike electronic devices, so most of my information is logged on paper maps and notebooks in this backpack (4th Edition Bald Eagle Map)View attachment 243887

But here is my Central PA Overland route if you somehow missed it.View attachment 243888

This route looks great - somehow didn't see this before, and was pretty sure I'd scoured all your postings here! What's the portion of the route that's "offroad" (accepting that in Central PA this mostly means well-groomed forest roads), and how many nights do you usually plan for with this route?

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
This route looks great - somehow didn't see this before, and was pretty sure I'd scoured all your postings here! What's the portion of the route that's "offroad" (accepting that in Central PA this mostly means well-groomed forest roads), and how many nights do you usually plan for with this route?
The main route is 90 percent off pavement. The Blue and Red. Mostly the main forest roads. The only pavement is secondary roads...most do not even have lines on them.

The green routes are nearly 100 percent off pavement, and include drivable trails and 4x4 high clearance roads.

I plan to stay one night in each forest. So about 5. You can usually make it through 2 in a days driving...but it is rough. We did Rothrock to Bald Eagle to Tiadaghton and it was brutal...not much sight seeing. So I planned 1 a day.

I drove all the route. You could spend a week or more in each forest and left missing something.

I have many more routes...but google screwed them all up.

My goal is always as much off pavement as possible.

I drive through the forest even when going to the shopping centers. My wife knows...if she wants to go to State College to shop....we are getting there the back roads and through Rothrock...I am lucky...she loves it too.

Reactions: eroyar23