Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

I am an old camper, ski patroller, experienced hiker mostly in White Mountains and Maine. Had a VW Bus for many years. Looking forward to exploring out side the NE and more in the West with my JK. Probably with a overland trailer. Have no experience with RTT. Searched overland camping up and down, and have some ideas, but would like to get some experienced opinions. I am sure I am not the first that has struggled with this decision.

Mike P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Mike
Member #

I am an old camper, ski patroller, experienced hiker mostly in White Mountains and Maine. Had a VW Bus for many years. Looking forward to exploring out side the NE and more in the West with my JK. Probably with a overland trailer. Have no experience with RTT. Searched overland camping up and down, and have some ideas, but would like to get some experienced opinions. I am sure I am not the first that has struggled with this decision.
Hey there! Me and my better half have been roughing it, backseat or on the ground for years... We got a smittybilt tent and our quality of life is a lot better.
Long 20+ hour road trips make pulling over virtually anywhere and napping.
We're building our own trailer soon so it'll be coming off the rig and going on the trailer next so we don't have to break camp to explore

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

After decades of backpacking with ultralight setups and “car camping” with base camp gear, I picked up a CDN M101 trailer to provide extra cargo capacity for my 04 Rubicon. Several years later I added a RTT to the trailer and I’ve never looked back. It is by far the most comfortable I’ve slept while camping. One of the keys for comfort is the bedding. We use full size pillows, a down comforter and flannel sheets.

Reactions: Road

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

Thank you. I really have been looking at the Scout Trailer also. I have a great shop and able to fab almost anything. Have some ideas to tune up the Scout Trailer. I am at a point where I don't mind customizing things but don't have the interest to start from scratch. We are fortunate to have a great camp in Maine and I know that my wife is no longer interested in being on the ground. Its time to get out and enjoy the rest of our great country, away from the bus tours. I know the JK will help us get there. Have you had any issues or advise on how your cover works. I have watched several youtube's where people have commented on zippers and velcro.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/cdn-m101-in-vegas.1422/

The previous owner of my trailer fabbed a rack on a piano hinge with the intention of adding a RTT. He never got to it, but I did. Installed a pair of 100 lb gas struts to assist opening and closing. A benefit of my trailer setup is I’m only about 4 ft off the ground. The only drawback is I can’t use an annex.

0D5B28F8-9414-42BD-8A95-D5D68BF09F47.jpeg

74D832A6-0B59-4B61-8673-A3CA6DAEBBEB.jpeg

The tent cover is PVC and holds up very well. The zipper is augmented with a pair of straps that secure with Velcro. I use a cargo net in addition as I will secure gear to the top of the RTT when in transit.

75F1E006-0A4A-46C7-9EEB-0D0877B08ACA.jpeg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Far as I'm concerned, having been a car camper, used a pickup with tall camper shell, various vans (one with a permanent high top) and station wagons, and tons of ground tents over the years, the most fun and most comfortable and most efficient I've been is with my present setup of trailer, raise-able rack, and hardshell RTT. I can still use my van for sleeping when I want, too, like rest areas, truck stops, or when camping and I have guests who want to try the RTT.

I bought my Roofnest Eagle used. There's a ton of good used equipment and gear out there, much of it in excellent and almost new condition.

I suggest doing a lot of research on types, prices, and configurations or both trailers and RTTs, check out as many rigs in person as you can, and make a plan of sorts for how you want everything to work before you start investing in various components.

Here are some images of my set up over the last year, as one way to go:

roaddude_XV2-ontheroad_4185.jpg

roaddude-ptuck_6974-900.jpg

roaddude-ptuck_6856-900.jpg

smokymtncampIMG_3215.JPG