Launch Member

Contributor III

Tustin, southern california
First Name
MATT
Last Name
HURTADO
Member #

Hey all, does anyone know of a place that I can purchase some pre fabed roof brackets I can modify to fit this? Just a thought before I go crazy. Trying to come up with the best way to attach the brackets. I'm almost tempted to fab a semi-cage and attach it to the frame like I've seen , along with extending it the full length of the roof. burb rack 2.jpgburb rack 3.jpgburb rack 4.jpgburb rack 5.jpgburb rack 1.jpg

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Brackets are the MOST important part of any roof rack. So make sure they are stronger then the rack is. Depending on what you are going to put on the rack I would put at least three per side if not four.

I made may own, but I had access to a fab shop. Three per side with two 3/8" bolts per side. Went through the roof of the shell and used lot of sealant. The shell already had holes in it so what the hack.

awning 8.jpg

awning 11.jpg

Reactions: Hoss2500

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Welcome - did not actually answer your request - but hope it helps.

Problem is that with older vehicle we have to make our own parts like this.

I do not have a great picture of the mount legs - but each one has two vertical pieces of steel. Forming a some triangle to fit the side to side movements on the trail.

awning 9.jpg

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Now that it is done and we have used it for 4 years or so, I wish I had put a floor on the top of the cross tubes. Expanded metal or aluminum runners front to back.

drove it 1.jpg

But it was mainly made to hold awnings.

A Christmas M 8.jpg

Hoss2500

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

First Name
MATT
Last Name
HURTADO
Member #

You are absolutely right and as another member stated . That is part of the fun for us. LOL I enjoyed the video. I will be dropping my headliner and really getting after it to make something strong as I am putting a roof top tent on with other things.
The part in the video in regards to the articulation that the roof rack mounting points need to be able to handle was a great point. The gear is not just going to be sitting on top sitting still but rather swaying back and forth due to terrain , etc.

Hoss2500

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

First Name
MATT
Last Name
HURTADO
Member #

Nice! I see! I love that body style F series. I had an 04. it did have the 6 liter but I bulletproofed that thing and it actually did very well. Great truck.

Reactions: Daryl 32

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

The Bolts bolting the rack to the shell are 3/8" carriage bolts. I filed the holes in the rack feet square for them.

On the inside I used flat fender washers and bent them to match the shape of the inside of the shell. There are 12 total bolts holding the rack to the shell. I used the rack to lift the shell off the bed of the truck to add new seals to the top of the bed, dust and wet control. IN YOUR CASE - with the thin sheet metal roof I would use a full form fitted plate of steel so it does not rip the roof. Our fiberglass shell is pretty thick almost 3/8" to 1/2" where I mounted the rack.

I put bolts, washers and nuts in the original extra holes in the shell I did not use. So I put hooks on them also and added more clothes lines for drying things.
The poles are extra legs for the Alu-Cab 270 awning.

storage 5.jpg

storage 7.jpg

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

We sleep inside the shell - it is nice and warm and no flapping RTT sides in the wind.

Picture of storage draws and sleeping platform almost finished.D side in 5.jpg

Flying pig

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florence, OR, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
sprueill
Member #

I had a 79 suburban with a con-fer rack. I used their bolt on drip rail mounts and drip rail brackets attach to them. Two bolt each mount through the roof with stainless bolts, rubber sealed nuts and some silicone for extra protection. Just dropped the headliber sides and drilled holes.

Hoss2500

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

First Name
MATT
Last Name
HURTADO
Member #

Here's what I got so far today. It's just a mock up for the front section of the rack. I am extending it full roof length. So for now I have some make shift brackets I cleaned up and rubberize undercoated. Attaching to the rain gutters. No super heavy loads will be up front but I got up and and hung on it at 300 pounds and shes pretty stout so far. I will be removing the old factory aluminum bar in the back and bought so square tubing for the mount in the rear. Anyway, no where near done but it was a good day for progress. rack.jpgrack2.jpgrack3.jpgrack4.jpgrack5.jpgrack7.jpgrack8.jpgrack9.jpgrack10.jpg