Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Sometimes a tool or brand looks great on screen but in person it sucks! hence this thread, if you have experiance you would like to share we would love to see them here, please post an image and reason why it sucks!

Dictionary Definition - a collection of pictures of persons arrested as criminalsalso : a collection or list likened to a rogues' gallery

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Great thread. I had to really rack my brain to come up with something. Most tools I use normally last long past they should based on the abuse I give them. However, I do have one item. And actually , it's only part of one item. Pictured below are the straps to my Smittybilt Jerry Can Holders. The holders themselves are great. However, the straps do not last as well. The bottom one is what it is supposed to look like, the top one fell off and got run over. I was able to straighten it out good enough to use, but the hinges came right off. After contacting Smittybilt for a replacement (which I was willing to buy), they said they don't sell replacement hinges, I'd have to buy a whole new setup. Think I'll just weld them solid instead.

IMAG2276.jpg

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
My father in law gave me a bushing press. Even after I beefed it up with heavier hardware it exploded into bits & pieces during mild use.. junk I borrowed a 24” pipe wrench from him. It will not grip, no matter the size black pipe, it will not grip.. each of these tools are from harbor freight. I do have a set of rubber wheel chocks from Harbor Freight, after I bolted in large eye rings to use as handles they work great.

Last edited:

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Great thread. I had to really rack my brain to come up with something. Most tools I use normally last long past they should based on the abuse I give them. However, I do have one item. And actually , it's only part of one item. Pictured below are the straps to my Smittybilt Jerry Can Holders. The holders themselves are great. However, the straps do not last as well. The bottom one is what it is supposed to look like, the top one fell off and got run over. I was able to straighten it out good enough to use, but the hinges came right off. After contacting Smittybilt for a replacement (which I was willing to buy), they said they don't sell replacement hinges, I'd have to buy a whole new setup. Think I'll just weld them solid instead.

View attachment 240265
Hi Mke, Thanks for kicking off this thread with your tool that sucks, shame the handles were not fit for purpose and sounds like the designers did not do a longevity test or use the prototype before rushing them into production, this seems so common now with large brands. Best wishes Amanda

Reactions: roots66

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
My father in law gave me a bushing press. Even after I beefed it up with heavier hardware it exploded into bits & pieces during mild use.. junk I borrowed a 24” pipe wrench from him. It will not grip, no matter the size black pipe, it will not grip.. each of these tools are from harbor freight. I do have a set of rubber wheel chocks from Harbor Freight, after I bolted in large eye rings to use as handles they work great.
HI Donald, thanks for sharing on the thread, maybe we should have a thread, called tools to avoid from Harbour Freight, in Canada we have Princess Auto. These stores like to pile them high and sell them low with own branded, made in china. Glad the chocks worked out, is there any chance you can put up a photo of the bushing press and the pipe wrench so that OB memebers and guests can see what they look like. Best wishes Amanda