Rodents in your Rig ?

• HTML tutorial

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Has anybody had any Rodents living in your Rig? If so, what did you do to keep them out?

A few years back I had an issue with a rat making a nest under the engine cover and he chewed threw some wires. My Rig was parked over the weekend so the little guy was there for 2 1/2 days. I did end up catching the guy in a trap a few days later. Good this is that the damage was minor and I only had to repair a few wires.
I found this on the internet and was thinking about getting one. Has anybody heard of or used RID-A-Rat for cars?

http://www.rid-a-rat.com/

Rid-A-Rat.jpg

Reactions: Byron Eby

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

In my MG, which is garaged and unused much of the time, I use in scented drier strips spread out inside, in the trunk, and under the hood. Othe British car guys swear by cutting up chucks of Irish Spring soap and doing the same. So far, no mice nests or chewed wires.

Reactions: NorthStar96

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Hmm gonna have to try that. I've had no issues yet. I've had plenty of customers cars come in with chewed up harnesses.

One guy taped rat poison to the engine cover, mouse just pissed on it and kept chewing wires . I thought it was pretty funny

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Wonder if it works on squirrels as well. Have not had any issues as of yet but frequently will pull into my driveway to see one sitting on top of one of my tires. Don't know if they are getting into the engine compartment or not but don't want to find out the hard way. Since I primarily only drive it once a week or so it would give them too much time to do some real damage.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

A co-worker just told me to use Moth Balls? Sounds odd but at least I wont have any Moths.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

In my cabin i started using cinnamon. Sprinkled it around the edges of the carpet and behind furniture. Been rodent free ever since. I just freshen it up once a month. Its noticible but you can sprinkle it in places where it might not be an issue.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I have used the Irish Spring Soap in my tent trailer and it "appears" to be working.

My OL vehicle is my daily driver so if a rat/mouse or rodent wants to ride along, they will have to pay the fare!

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Rodents and animal damage is pretty common, especially in vehicles that are in storage or don't get driven daily. My brother deployed from Germany to Iraq and had to leave his car in storage. He had two options: park it out in a field with all the other people who didn't have a place to put it, or keep paying rent on his apartment and store it in the garage. Either way, rodent damage was a real threat.

His solution was to collect all the hair he brushed out of his German Sheppard for a couple months. When he stored the car, he spread the dog hair all around and under the vehicle. Since dogs are predators to rodents and other small critters that like to eat the soy-based wiring insulation, they steered well clear of the entire garage for the 14 months the car was in storage.

Everyone who parked in the Army provided parking had electrical problems and animal nests to contend with. My brother filled the tires up with air, took it off the jack stands, changed the oil and was ready to go. Not so much as a nibble.