Rockhounding

• HTML tutorial

NorCalTRD

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hello there,

I love to be in the outdoors camping and wheeling, my fiance enjoys rock collecting. I would like to combine the two hobbies since rocks come from the outdoors. :wink: I am tying to organize a surprise trip for her birthday at the end of April, but I am at a bit of a loss as to where to go decently local to Sacramento.

I have found a few websites, but they all seem to direct me to Nevada to rockhound, and those places are closed until the end. Not that I don't want to visit the state, I just want to keep it a bit more local. Also, i have no idea what if any good rocks would be found in the Sierras...

Does anyone know of some good places to look for all kinds of fun, cool rocks, and camping close to the Northern Sierras?

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
My wife is a rockhound also. So, that makes me one. Have you looked for local Facebook rockhounding groups? Sorry I can't be of more help.

NW4XForester

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Federal Way WA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Bayer
Member #

I know it's a long ways away but when we visit family in Montana we visit Gem Mountain sapphire mine. Maybe there is a place local to you that's a working mine still?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

NorCalTRD

Rank 0

Contributor I

I am not against taking a trip to Montana. However, being without a job right now, I want to keep things a little closer. ;-)

I've looked into a couple places, but that is still in Northern Nevada. Too far for me right now.