Road Trip/Scouting report for the expansion of my Central PA Overland Route, to become Pennsylvania Forest Adventure Route

• HTML tutorial

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Hoping, Wishing, Praying, having a seance that I can pull off a road trip tomorrow.

I have a few of the additional routes through the planning stage and into the scouting phase.

The family wants to head out towards Pittsburgh this long weekend, and I saw it as an opportunity to scout some of my newest route.

I already got an advance scout report, for Buchanan, thanks to some who have offered assistance and interest in the routes.

I plan to start the road trip getting a visual of 3 campsites in Buchanan, and then Mt. Davis and the OhioPyle area.

The Google Maps route is just to show the path of least resistance for the road trip.

My question is, since this does not have the ability for dirt my overland route has, I need to look at attractions to connect the backroad paved sections.

Obviously, I have searched out some...but was just curious if any one familiar with the area has any thoughts on must see things, restaurant/Diners, maybe roads to avoid or seek out.

My original Central PA Overland Route has grown substantially into the Pennsylvania Forest Adventurer Route, with the greatest information I have ever found, Purple Lizard Maps

As soon as they release the two newest maps...it is going to become a Mid-Atlantic Route for sure...

The route I am scouting for will Connect the central PA Forests with Tuscarora, Buchanan and Forbes, ultimately to also include Michaux.( But they always say head west young man...)

Adventure is Necessary!

Attachments

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So, I got out and scouted this area. There was actually more dirt than I expected.

We ended up spending the night (motel with pool, real Overlander stuff) then headed out again in the morning.

On the trip out we connected Rothrock to Buchanan to Forbes.

We usually camp with our camper, so I was actually scouting 2 routes, path of least resistance and the overland route.

We got to Buchanan and scouted the couple sites we wanted to make a stay at. We decided which one and I reserved it for our 3 week vacation. 7 nights in Tuscarora, 7 nights in Buchanan and then a still be determined 7 nights.

On this trip we intentionally left things undiscovered.

My plan was to get to MT Davis before dark. We got there just as the sun was about to disappear.

We could not really see anything, so I pointed us towards a hotel and saw how much dirt we could use to get there.

My son really wanted to go back...so in the morning...we headed back to Mt Davis

Attachments

Reactions: MuckSavage