Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Monument, CO
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Woodward
Member #

I have a Leitner like rack system on my Ford F150 but looking to swap it out for a canopy/topper. ARE has their CX-HD line that can handle a 550LB dynamic load but also looking at the RLD canopies out of South Africa. Did a quick search on the forum but didn't find any previous comments or reviews.

Any thoughts on the RLD? I like the shelf that have for the ammo boxes plus the drop down table storage on the underside of the roof. The fit between the canopy and cab isn't as tight as I would like, but function appears good.

Anyone running the RLD on their rig?

Mike

lm89

Rank I

Contributor III

Ohio
First Name
Loran
Last Name
Miller
Check out RSI SmartCap to compare. Has similar features as the RLD, but I think it looks better. I'm still researching and trying to decide if those are worth the extra money from a standard ARE or Leer cap.

MikeW42

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Monument, CO
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Woodward
Member #

Thanks. I’m familiar with the RSI canopy. I prefer the RLD since it doesn’t come in pieces that are assembled.

Opted to go with an ARE CX-HD. Not as strong as an RLD but the CX-HD has a 550 lb dynamic rating so more than enough for me.

Just wasn’t a fan of the fit between the cab and the front of the canopy and the local dealer couldn’t do some of the electrical work I wanted done.

The CX-HD will have the solid Windoors with T handles all around plus their OTR/Line-X coating. Downside is it will be 9-11 weeks before it is ready. It will give me time to sell the rack I have on the truck.

Reactions: Mr. McPickle

Contributor II

Newport, Oregon
First Name
Bo
Last Name
Douglas
Member #

I just got my RLD installed so far I love it! I'm still trying to figure out how to get my Deck'd drawer system back in. It's going to require some trimming of the Deck'd. The way the RLD is designed for the f-150, it has a post mounted in the 4 corners of the bed that the canopy bolts to. I also run an iKamper Skycamp 2.0 and the mounting brackets don't fit on the RLD load bars.

So I have a few kinks to work out but I love the look and you cant beat the weight rating, it beats out the competition.