Review of my Dometic CFX 75 DZW fridge/freezer.

• HTML tutorial

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hello OB,
I thought I should give an update on my Dometic Fridge/Freezer. I really like it in many ways but would not recommend it for everyone. As some of you know, the plan was to use my Dometic fridge full time. I first set the fridge up out side, as the first faze of my testing. I did buy the protective cover and that was a good purchase. The side of my motor home is in the sun in the morning then shaded for half the day. If you have seen pictures or the Dometic fridge in person you will see Black rubber panels in the top of both of the lids. Even with the insulated cover these get hot to the touch. Maybe good so things don’t slide off the top, but not good to keep extra heat away! The cover helps protect but not much in insulation. The next faze of my test was to set my fridge up in the motor home. I have been running this on 110 AC. After about Ten days of use, I came home and the fridge was not working! Used the “ emergency” button and started right up. Took and rocked and shook the fridge some and tried the fridge back on the normal settings, it worked fine and has with no more problems. Now, when I think of it, I give the fridge a good shake rattle and roll! That has worked. The digital temp gage runs about 3-5 degrees Fahrenheit off, warmer or colder.

If you have a family, or are doing week long and longer trips, this fridge would be great. That is what this Dometic fridge/freezer was designed to do! I like using it so far to freeze water bottles, to use in my ice super cooler, and that works well, for my shorter trips. It is heavy at 75 lbs. empty. And big, takes up lots of room. Not the best for stationary use. I hear others are using it as their in garage beer fridge, when not in use on the trail without problems. Just not my experience. Would I spend this kind of money and buy this purchase again, not sure that I would for my use as a single guy. It is nice to have both the fridge side, and freezer in different sections of the unit. I will use this out on the trail and long term in my motor home and give a latter update. For me, it is not a game changer, but still nice to have. Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Here is the “rest of the story “!
My Dometic fridge/freezer has been a little more noisy than I thought it would be. Also, this unit has not held the temp, but at times 10+ degrees off from my settings! Came home a second time and the fridge was turned off! Did start right back up and took overnight 10+ hours to cool the food within 10 degrees of the display setting. Now I have had to set the big side, fridge side for me, at 32 to get my food temps to 40 or so! Freezer even worse. Tried setting it to 20 degrees, food not frozen. Then 10 degrees, frozen but not hard. Then minus 7 degrees. Three days later, fridge/freezer was off again. This was all on 110 AC. Powered the fridge up and came back on but again took 10+ hours to reach a “close” temp! This last weekend I took a trip up around Chinook Pass, by Mount rainier national park. Had my fridge /freezer on at 110 AC. In the motor home then moved to my full size truck and camper, setting the fridge/freezer in the back seat and plugged into a 10 amp 12 VDC full time power port. Went to the local store, filled up with frozen veggies, meat and even Ice cream sandwiches! The temps out side at the Campground we’re mid 80s daytime and even as cold as 45 Saturday night. On Sunday the park camp hosts young son came by liking my Alaskan camper. I offered him a Klondike ice cream sandwich and noticed it and my frozen vegetables were no longer frozen! On the way home noticed temps way off again. Next morning, went to get some food left over from my weekend trip for breakfast, you guessed it, temps way off now fridge at 71 degrees and freezer at 69 on the the digital display! Shut everything down, waited an hour or so, turned the fridge back on and late that night the fridge and freezer were back to my set temp on the display, but 10 degrees off by food temps. After that I just shut it off.

I bought the Dometic fridge at the NWOR this June. The business I bought it from has been great to work with and fast corresponding back-and-forth with me! They told me, that in 4 years of selling Dometic fridges, I am the second customer to have any problems with Dometic products! Again, First class all the way! To cut to the chase, Dometic was great also and even gave me the choice of a new replacement fridge/ freezer or full refund! That is proof of a company standing behind their products! Thank you, Dometic! I am going with the refund, as I need to rethink my options using something like this full time. Maybe I need to buy Two, one to use as a stand-alone fridge, one as a freezer. I will be keeping Dometic on the top of my go to list. Vance.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Oh wow, I just got my CFX 28 today and hope to God I don't have problems with it. I'm testing it now as we speak (knock on wood). Sorry to hear you have / had trouble with yours and good the company will back up their product.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

We too have the Dometic 75Qt and it's been working flawlessly for our on and off again tripping. Sorry to hear you're having issues.
On ours too the temp does fluctuate a bit, but only by maybe five degrees.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I am assuming you guys have some sort of temperature reader to know you're off? If so, what kind?

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Both companies, the one I bought from and Dometic have completely stood behind the sale and taking great care of the trouble I have with my fridge! With my experience in this I really do not think any of you will have any trouble. But if you ever do, I know Dometic will stand behind their products! I made my purchase from the start on Dometic’s reputation, and they have shown that it is deserving great credit! Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I used a professional thermometer, that I used while working at a seafood company years ago! The probe type that you can check the internal temperatures of food! Vance.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I want to end this thread with some thoughts. There are many companies out there that will give you great service, when you are buying things from them. The list of companies that are still there giving great customer service after the sale is much smaller. When you have trouble with the item you purchased, the list of great companies is smaller yet! Lolo Overland, and Dometic both fall into the last group. Great customer service and care and earned trust with your business, all the time. Why not do business with companies you know will be there for, all the time? Vance.