Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Was trying to figure out how to improve my backup visibility. With my spare tire hitch there is not an obvious place to put an auxiliary backup light. So I found these multi-LED bulbs on Amazon. Wow what a big difference they made.

From backup cam

6324588C-2F62-44BC-B415-5315E5DE3E8B.jpeg

From outside truck

69F96F8B-E136-4CE6-AD16-D18BEC5D7645.jpeg

4A5CA9F2-D80C-4A47-888D-4C8A241B009A.jpeg

Attachments

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Looks good!!

Maybe you could wire them in with a switch so you can also use them without putting it in reverse.

Reactions: RoarinRow

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
We installed some bumper mounted lights in our truck and wired them in such a way that when the reverse lights came on, the aux lights came on but you can also hit the switch for the rear aux lights separately from the reverse lamps. I'll have to go dig up my sketch of what I did there was a bit of sillyness involved to get it working the way I wanted it to.
I think I ended up using a 2 relay setup, one for the backup lamp so they're automatically activated and then a separate set of leads from the LED to the other relay controlled by a switch. It was a bit of a kludge but it works really well.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Below is a diagram I sketched using a non lighted SPDT switch to control a set of auxiliary lights that used a Hella wire harness. You can simplify this by using your own relay and wiring. The switch allows the aux lights to come on when the high beams come on, turned on independently of the high beams and can be turned off all together.

1576710299772.png

The same principle can be applied to auxiliary reverse lights by tapping into the (+) feed to the reverse lights instead of the high beam as shown in the diagram.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Wired mine to the center pin on the 7 way trailer connection just some old ditch light pods 34watts i believe. I didnt aim them out, mine are bolted to the old spare carrier crossmember under the truck. Mines more so others can see me reversing without blinding em.
20191216_072359.jpg