Retrax XR Pro Alternate Installation Method (Single-Handed)

• HTML tutorial

kt_bowie

Rank I

Contributor III

North Central Texas
First Name
Kerry
Last Name
Thomas
Service Branch
US Army (86-90)
(Forgive me if you guys already know this, and forgive the lack of photos, it was late and I was in a hurry to get done before dark)

Normally it would take two (maybe three) folks to do this, lifting the unit from the floor into the bed, but I figured out a way to do this by myself. Not telling you what to do, only what I did :-)

NOTE: The unit is hefty, probably 60-70 pounds. You'll need to have healthy knees, arms & back.

1) Set the drum unit on two storage bins near the front of the bed, such that the bin height + the height of the drum unit is about 4" above the level of the bed rails. I used the craftsman red 5-gallon bins from Lowe's.
2) Place an 8' 2x4 across the bed (you can clamp into place. but I didn't). This will prevent the tonneau rails from falling off of the bed rails, and sets the rails almost perfectly level with the drum unit.
3) Assemble the track into the rails and then the rails onto the drum unit per instructions.
4) (This is the hardest part. Get ready.) On both knees, facing the drum unit, lift the drum unit with forearms whilst scooting the bins out from under the drum unit, then lower the drum unit into place. If anything gets hairy, lift & scoot the bins back, and re-evaluate (this is not easy)
5) Remove the 2x4, being careful to keep the tonneau rails on the bed rails
6) Continue the installation per instructions.

Hope this helps someone.

--Kerry