RENO NEVADA

• HTML tutorial

on_the_run

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Reno, NV
Member #

Hey all! Moved here last Spring, had some professional obligations to get out of the way, but settling in and looking forward to some adventures and meeting other like minded people.

I just retired from the US Army last August and decided Nevada is where "it's" at.

We love it here so far, have our first few trips planned for this month, can't wait to "finish" building my trailer this next week and extend our range.

Looking forward to seeing you on the backroads and trails of this great state!

Attachments

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

[copy'n pasted from a similar Reno thread]

You're not so far away from The Lakes Basin Recreation Area! This is within 1.5-2 hours of Reno up the Sierras north of Truckee. Its a fantastic area to camp, hike and even 4x4 (my avatar is from west of Wades Lake by the Four Hills Mine).

from Reno, take the 395 North to Hwy 70. This will take you to Portola, and then Blairsden where you'd turn left on Hwy 89 and south through Graeagle. After Graeagle turn right on Gold Lake Highway. Follow this up the hill and you're there! Gold Lake has a 4x4 campground on the north shore thats a big attraction for 4-wheelin'.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/plumas/recarea/?recid=71116

on_the_run

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Reno, NV
Member #

You're not so far away from The Lakes Basin Recreation Area! This is within 1.5-2 hours of Reno up the Sierras north of Truckee. Its a fantastic area to camp, hike and even 4x4 (my avatar is from west of Wades Lake by the Four Hills Mine).

from Reno, take the 395 North to Hwy 70. This will take you to Portola, and then Blairsden where you'd turn left on Hwy 89 and south through Graeagle. After Graeagle turn right on Gold Lake Highway. Follow this up the hill and you're there! Gold Lake has a 4x4 campground on the north shore thats a big attraction for 4-wheelin'.

Thanks man!! We went up there and had a blast. Road to the 4x4 campground was closed due to “Construction”. Whatever...still had fun!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

Aw yeah!! I'm so glad you were able to make it up there and that you had such a good time! You probably saw how much more there is to see now that you've learned about this area. We've been up there about 5 or 6 times now and I'm still only scratching the surface. I always dream about going back to explore deeper into the woods.

ps. Another great area up there is Lake Davis (just north of Portola). It has campsites along the shores and endless fishing opportunities.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

I grew up in Quincy California and you family would take day trips to the Lake Basin area. Swimming in Sand Pond, youth group campouts at Wade's Lake, and in college my friend and I hiked from Bucks Summit to Wade's Lake. I would recommend exploring Plumas County. Growing up we would camp at Bucks Lake