Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ohio/Tenn
First Name
John
Last Name
Shanower
Member #

I have one of their recovery straps. Haven't had a need to use it yet so I can't speak to if it works or not. I'll say that it feels a little heftier than the Warn strap that came with my Jeep.

I don't have any of their shackles, I am buying soft shackles lately even though I still keep a couple steel ones in the recovery bag. Multiple options are always more gooder.

Reactions: JustinSenior

JustinSenior

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tracy, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2/16/2019
I have one of their recovery straps. Haven't had a need to use it yet so I can't speak to if it works or not. I'll say that it feels a little heftier than the Warn strap that came with my Jeep.

I don't have any of their shackles, I am buying soft shackles lately even though I still keep a couple steel ones in the recovery bag. Multiple options are always more gooder.
Good point on the shackles. Will keep that in mind. If you don't mind me asking a noob question why soft shackles?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
I bought a number of those Rhino products a couple years ago. So far I have only really gotten use out of the ratchet straps, but they are well built items as I can tell.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: JustinSenior

Cherni

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Abbotsford, BC
Member #

Good point on the shackles. Will keep that in mind. If you don't mind me asking a noob question why soft shackles?

I'll jump in here and answer if you don't mind.

Soft shackles are generally safer. If the pull line ever snaps during a tug you are less likely to have a 2lb steel shackle flying at something/somebody. People have been seriously hurt (and probably killed) by flying shackles.

However soft shackles require a bit more care and attention and will need to be replaced if they're exposed to the elements a start degrading/fraying etc.

Cherni
@FoxtrotOverland

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Otter155

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
N
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AJ3EP

Cherni makes a great point about the steel shackle flying towards people/vehicles; it is the reason I originally went with my synthetic setup. Now after having doing a couple recoveries, I love the flexibility of the soft shackles even more. One recovery I had to use the tow strap to pull out a vehicle high centered on a rock, and the vehicle had no mount points; it was easy to use the soft shackle around the frame and gently tug him off. A second recovery was a mini-van that got stuck in snow; for that I had to use the soft shackle to attach to his axle (not the best recovery point, but in an emergency with night coming, it was the best choice). I was able to get the mini-van back onto solid ground.

For me the soft shackles present not only safety but a lot of flexibility (and they float).

JustinSenior

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tracy, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2/16/2019
All great info! Thanks everyone, I will look into the soft shackles. If you know of any deals or specific brands please feel free to share.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

TRE, ARB, and Bubba Rope all make some "good to go" recovery equipment. It's not that other producers are all BAD, but they my have untested, questionable test and rating practices, or questionable marketing departments. In one of overland journal's gear tests there were several brands that had equipment fail just under it's "rated" breaking strength. They considered it a failure, though it likely would have gotten you out for a lifetime if not being stressed to it's limits. When a particular brand had multiple pieces break under spec, it made me think that they either need to rethink their testing, or their marketing. On other companies it seems they just aren't listening to the market. Warn's "epic tree trunk protector" is a good example of two large chunks of metal, in a pull that I don't want or need. Tree straps with sewn loops are plenty strong, lighter, and safer.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

So I talked about trust, and a large part of that trust is clear information about the product I'm looking at purchasing. Warn makes some good gear, I've held it, used it, and it's worked well, but their lack of product information on their website makes it hard to choose them, even though I suspect the company could simply rewrite the information on the website overnight to correct most to these oversights.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Ultra-Lite-Snatch-Block-10100020A-P3582.aspx

ARB gives me this info on their snatch block-
Part Number 10100020
Working Load 20,000lbs (9000kg)
Breaking Strength 38,500lb (17,500kg)
Side Plate Material 6mm cold rolled steel
Pulley Material Specialized Polymer
Pulley Diameter 4.3" (110mm)
Cable Size 0.3"-0.5" (8mm - 13mm)
Weight 5.3lb (2.4kg)
Greasable not required

https://www.warn.com/epic-snatch-block-18000-93195
https://www.warn.com/epic-snatch-block-18000-93195

Vs Warn's questionable info, very light on actual useful details-
WEIGHT CAPACITY (LB) 18000 Pounds
FINISH Powder Coated
COLOR Gray

Dock Rocker

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

If you are going to use a hard shackle, and there are definitely times and places to do that, do not skip on a Chinese made shackle. I only buy Crosby brand for a reason. I have worked with them for years and they are all built to last plus they will far exceed the WLL stated on the shackle.