Launch Member

Traveler II

Lake Charles, LA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Baker
Member #

Hey everyone! We're taking a family road trip the end of march and looking at spending a night or two just east of Knoxville in the Smokeys. Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably somewhere that has free dispersed/primitive camping where we can just roll in and set up without having to worry about hitting a ranger station first.

greatgibbs10

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

WNC
First Name
Melissa
Last Name
Gibson
Member #

Are you wanting to stay on the Tennessee side of the Smokies or will you be staying on the NC side of the Smokies?

m&m_overlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Cherokee, NC, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Martens
Member #

Are you wanting to stay on the Tennessee side of the Smokies or will you be staying on the NC side of the Smokies?
Hey Melissa, if the answer woulda been the NC side, what would you have had info wise? I’m in Cherokee and looking to get started but could use some help.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Check with a USFS district office for Nantahala, Pisgah and/or Cherokee (TN) NF for current conditions. Pisgah announced several openings as of today but I'm not sure about the other two. FS81 (starts behind the kiosk at the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway outside Robbinsville) has several dispersed sites along Santeelah Creek and you can continue along it into TN and Cherokee NF without hitting pavement.

Reactions: davidwells

m&m_overlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Cherokee, NC, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Martens
Member #

Check with a USFS district office for Nantahala, Pisgah and/or Cherokee (TN) NF for current conditions. Pisgah announced several openings as of today but I'm not sure about the other two. FS81 (starts behind the kiosk at the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway outside Robbinsville) has several dispersed sites along Santeelah Creek and you can continue along it into TN and Cherokee NF without hitting pavement.
Hey Al, thanks for this. It’s a great starting point. I wasn’t sure how to even begin without heading far off to an off road park.

Reactions: huachuca