Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I have a 2017 4runner with an aftermarket rack and a RTT.

I have to admit the RTT isnt the easiest thing in the world to access to deploy or put away up that high. I have the southern style offroad full length rack. It is low profile and I am able to leave two cross bars bolted to the tent and simply remove them with the tent when I want it off. The main problem is that with a 3” lift and 33” tires, I am about 1” too tall to get into my standard garage door with the tent mounted. So... this prevents me from being able to buy and use a lift specifically designed to get it on/off. And so, it must be man handled up there. Its a real pain in the wazzoo. The tent is a CVT mount shasta summit series. Its an excellent tent and sleeps very well. It just wont fit in the garage and is a bear to install and remove.

So my questions to you...
Do you plan to leave the tent on all the time? (It will negatively affect handling day to day)

If not, how do you plan to manage getting the tent on and off?

Do you have plans for a lift? Will that deny you access to your plan for question above?

If i had to do it again, I would shop around for a thinner option. Something a couple inches shorter overall height or something much lighter.
I feel your pain, mine is 77 kg.. to put it up it is 3 man job . I just moved in to a house with a bigger garage and I want to test a chain hoist with a couple of straps arround it.
Good advice fot keeping the height and the weight as low as possible.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I have a aluminum hard shell RTT. It is the entire length of the vehicles roof. I needed a full length roof rack to mount it. The rack mounts to the factory rack bolt locations and then has "feet" for the very front part of the rack so it's a no drill rack. The point is this RTT is not being mounted without a full length rack. The tent is on the vehicle full time and has had minimal effects on the vehicles handling because I installed a suspension capable of handling the extra weight.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

it is about where the weight is. Up top every kilo counts. It can sit on 2 bars fine, shaves of some 7-8 kg.