Rank II

Enthusiast I

Tussen de Vaarten Noord, Almere, Netherlands
First Name
Amila
Last Name
Amarasinghe
Member #

I'm looking to buy a CB or PMR. for the moment prefer a handheld one so can be used in a more portable manner and also can be used in car convoy going road trips as well. I have a few questions.
1) I live in the Netherlands. do we need to have a license to carry/use CB inside Netherlands/Europe in general?
2) Midland Alan 42 DS was recommended to me and I liked it too. anything I need to know about this before investing in one? any experience of the range during a convoy?
3) if we use CB without an external antenna (say a portable one) will it still be better than PMR in range?
4) how much of impact of range can we expect from both(CB and PMR) from car to car communication compared to open field comm

Thanks in Advance for your replies

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,

I am currently on the road, so I will reply in detail later.

In the meantime, please check out this OB boot camp article about comms in Europe:

Cheers, Bjoern

Reactions: MazeVX

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Amila,

So the first thing I would do is look at what those you are mostly traveling with are using. It does you no good if you use, for example, PMR and all the others in the group have CB. From my experience I would say that most 4x4 travelers in Europe still use CB. FM devices with CEPT approval (40 channels FM) have long been exempt from registration and fees in many European countries. There are numerous (minor) exceptions, such as restrictions in border zones, etc. You have to check locally, the Netherlands also have something like the Federal Network Agency. You will find the information there. So I think ou will either go CB or PMR or correct said PMR446.

The achievable range depends on many factors. These include the transmitting power, the antenna and also the surrounding buildings. Letßs quickly compare CB and PMR446.

With rgeard to PMR446, the devices are "ready to use" and must not be modifiable. Mostly handheld radios are used with PMR446. There are also a few built-in devices on the market. Devices with analog as well as digital transmission technology are available. Digital transmission has the advantage of clearer voice transmission. However, the different digital devices are often not compatible with each other (some also have an analog mode which helps then). PMR446 devices may only have a transmission power of 0.5 watts due to their design. In very good conditions you can achieve a range of up to 5 km. Often very much less, e.g. due to urban areas or forests. Even dense leafs can be a hindrance. In dense urban areas, the range can quickly drop to 300m or less. Especially in the city with convoy driving not exactly advantageous. But for example for the occasional trip to the offroad park, for example, the handy PMR446 handheld radios are a good communication option.

The power in CB radio is limited to a transmission power of four watts in the modulation modes AM and FM and 12 watts in the modulation mode SSB. With fixed installed mobile CB devices, a range of about 10 to 30 kilometers can be achieved, rarely even more. Handheld radios, which are used especially for communications in close range, for example, in terrain reconnaissance, have a fairly short range of about 1 to 5 km due to the short antenna and lower transmit power. Sometimes even less (especially when used in the rig of course).

If you absolutely want to take a CB handheld radio, I would advise you to take one for that you could get a car adapter. This way you have the possibility not only to charge it in the car, but also to connect an external antenna. This makes absolute sense in the car, since the range of a handheld device in the vehicle is of course severely limited. Popular devices are the well-known Midland Multi 42 or the Stabo XH9006e.Both are good devices and well-known manufacturers. For use as a pure handheld radio I would take the Stabo, because it is really compact and has a good battery life. But to my knowledge, the Stabo is no longer available for purchase. There is another CB handheld quite new on the european market. It is the TTI TCB-H-100. It is not so expensive, it´s also a multinorm CB handheld and it is much smaller in size then the other two mentioned above. I have it sincesome month in addition to my fixed installed Midland and I am very happy with it. It is solid, small in size as said and has a good quality speaker. A car adpter is also available for that one.

Also look at devices for units for fixed installation. You can also get many compact devices, e.g. from Midland or Albrecht. Often they are also cheaper than the CB handhelds. Also think about whether you need a hands-free function due to local regulations or for convenience. Maybe a combination of fixed installed and handheld radio is also an idea?

I hope this helps you. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

HAM radio with all its possibilities and advantages is not a topic for you?

Cheers, Björn

amilabanuka

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Amila
Last Name
Amarasinghe
Member #

Thank you very much, Björn. that was very detailed.

first, about HAM, that needs a license right? I'm not sure how much work I need to put into that and also not sure how many others are using it. I have been on a few OB trips now and we used PMRs and CBs there. (of course, loaned to me)
given that I intend to use the radio during normal road trips as well, I guess I will go with CB and probably start with a portable one and then later invest in a fixed one for the Overlanding vehicle.
after you mentioned TTI TCB-H-100 did some research on that and seems it has even better reception over distance than ALAN DS 42 as per a few videos (at least on UK channels) and is also pretty compact.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you very much, Björn. that was very detailed.

first, about HAM, that needs a license right? I'm not sure how much work I need to put into that and also not sure how many others are using it. I have been on a few OB trips now and we used PMRs and CBs there. (of course, loaned to me)
given that I intend to use the radio during normal road trips as well, I guess I will go with CB and probably start with a portable one and then later invest in a fixed one for the Overlanding vehicle.
after you mentioned TTI TCB-H-100 did some research on that and seems it has even better reception over distance than ALAN DS 42 as per a few videos (at least on UK channels) and is also pretty compact.
Ham requires a license, but it’s not hard to get. I know the privileges differ in the Neathrrlands vs the USA, but the possibilities are almost endless with what you can do with amateur radio. You might look into it, just to see what might attract you to going that route.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Some info and considerations when choosing your comms.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
@amilabanuka

Hi Amila,

And which radio application and radio did you choose?

Or do you need a little more advice and information on what we can help with here?

Cheers,
Bjoern

amilabanuka

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Amila
Last Name
Amarasinghe
Member #

Hi, we are still going through phases. but this is where we are now.

Me and one of my friends started with president randy iii CB handheld one. we opted for that one cos it is kind of portable (for a hike) but can connect to the car with an external antenna if needed. we tested with one person standing outside in the open and the other person driving the car (fully closed) away from him for the range. in the built-up areas, the reception was about 300~400m and after that, there is no sound at all. not even static from within the car. then both of us tried from vehicles and the reception was like 200~300m in the built-up areas.

so, we decided to have magnetic antennas and went for Wilson Little Will magnetic antenna. once both of us installed and tuned the SWR, we could hear each other from about 2.5km distance in built-up areas. Once this experiment was a success, another friend bought the TTI TCB-H-100 and the same external antenna. we tested again in the same area and the range was almost the same and TTI guy was saying he was getting small static noise when we were talking but nothing bad. I did not have a chance to check if he is getting any additional noise than what we get in the randy iii but will ride with him again and see if there is a difference.

given anyway I had to go for the external antenna, now I'm looking to upgrade to a permanent one (instead of the portal one) for the rig but we will first do a real test on the highway and in a forest area to figure out how the current configuration behaves.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for the update. Sounds good. What you could also try when using as a handheld radio to get better range is to use a different antenna. There is one from Albrecht that fits the Randy handheld. It is about 40cm long!

Oh, and have you also thought about HAM radio? I can really only recommend to deal with it. Of course it is a bit of a effort to get the license, but in return you get a significantly increased range, clarity and many other useful options as an overlander, such as ARPS. Sure, always assuming of course that the other sin the group are also HAM, otherwise it makes little sense in the group.

Last edited: