kmetzoff

Rank 0

Contributor I

Madison, WI USA
First Name
KYLE
Last Name
METZLOFF
Anything by Kingsley Holgate he is a Land Rover driving Overland Legend in South Africa. He has 5 or 6 books. You need to look around to find them for a reasonable price though.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Another great book... especially if you are near Roger Pass Canada or Glacier National Park or want to read about the guy who created HELISKIING.

hans-gmoser-book.jpg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

One more going way back, yer kids might like this one.

2518259._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpeg

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
It doesn't have anything to do with overlanding, but it is a great book about land stewardship and the beauty of the outdoors.

A small excerpt from February (my favorite chapter).

"There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery and that heat comes from the furnace. To avoid the first danger, one should plant a garden, preferably where there is no grocer to confuse the issue. To avoid the second, he should lay a split of good oak on the andirons, preferably where there is no furnace ..."
Aldo Leopold
A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There

Sand.jpg

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
It doesn't have anything to do with overlanding, but it is a great book about land stewardship and the beauty of the outdoors.

A small excerpt from February (my favorite chapter).

"There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery and that heat comes from the furnace. To avoid the first danger, one should plant a garden, preferably where there is no grocer to confuse the issue. To avoid the second, he should lay a split of good oak on the andirons, preferably where there is no furnace ..."
Aldo Leopold
A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There
It's been about 13 years since I last read this one. Perhaps it is time for me to dust off the cover and wrap my mind around Leopold's unique writing style again. Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: Itacal

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

found this movie on NetFlix, kinda light but a cool trip

expedition-happiness.jpg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

And an unbelievable story of the Honda scandal which sent several top Honda executives to jail.

71QC0N5NMXL.gif

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Found another good read since I have soo much time to read...

Swit-River.jpg

A history of the fur trade and early settlement of the Pacific Northwest. Chapter 5 focuses on the small pox epidemic in the PNW 300 years ago. Some things never change.

From an expedition viewpoint the distances travelled, with almost no knowledge of what is around the next bend are humbling. Incredible how our ancestors discovered what we call home today.

Highly recommended reading.

Reactions: Road

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I struggled to figure out where to post this but I figure reading is maybe a recreational activity, so yeah, post those "overlanding" related books you have read. This one I read in Grade 6, 1966. It definitely influenced my past 50 years.

If you have a good book to recommend, find the cover and post it.
Reading is my favourite camp activities.

View attachment 102291
would you be willing to edit/update your original post with a list of books that are listed here. Sure would make it less time consuming to see all the books. I only ask cause I had the same thought for a thread.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

would you be willing to edit/update your original post with a list of books that are listed here. Sure would make it less time consuming to see all the books. I only ask cause I had the same thought for a thread.
I kind of treat this thread like a good bookstore, I hate lists, I pick up a book, read the summary and move on.
The pictures of a crowded book shelf sre useless to me..... unless it is full of books I have read.

Often the cover of a book says it all.
And a picture is a thousand words.

Reactions: Road

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

These books are pretty much obsolete, but are fun reads. La Siesta Press had some great books back in the 60s and 70s, including a series on old mines. You can find them on Amazon.
I find it amusing that there isnt a single Jeep pictured the cover of any of those "Jeep Trails" books. Land Rovers, Ford Broco, even a K5 Blazer, but not a Jeep to be seen

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I find it amusing that there isnt a single Jeep pictured the cover of any of those "Jeep Trails" books. Land Rovers, Ford Broco, even a K5 Blazer, but not a Jeep to be seen
I never noticed that! You would think there would have been more Jeeps out there in the 60’s and 70’s. Here’s a newer book in the same series, It looks like there is a Jeep in front of the Bronco II. But it’s not a Jeep Trails book anymore!16400859-4A61-4F92-8A33-B018A795B1FB.jpeg