Staff member
Mod Team

Traveler III

Florida, USA
First Name
randy
Last Name
g
I am just getting in to the Comms portions of things and will be getting my HAM licences in the near future as of right now I am thinking getting a GMRS and CB radio in the truck would probably be a good idea as well as a few handheld GMRS radios what does everyone use? and how do you mount them? I have a 2014 Ram 2500 so I have a decent amount of room for mounting.

Thanks
Doc

Reactions: Desert Runner

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

Hey, I am just getting into the radio world too. I just picked up a Midland MXT 275 for GMRS, comes with everything for a basic start. I'm mounting the head unit under the seat with mic somewhere in reach on the dash. The only two things I would do is upgrade the antenna and hardwire the power source. It gives me a clean minimal setup and able to keep everything out of sight when needed. Good luck with your search.

Reactions: Desert Runner

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I am using a Midland MTX 105 GMRS and Uniden 980SSB CB. No Ham. No time and energy to get license. GMRS is mounted on dash and CB lower center console.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Hey, I am just getting into the radio world too. I just picked up a Midland MXT 275 for GMRS, comes with everything for a basic start. I'm mounting the head unit under the seat with mic somewhere in reach on the dash. The only two things I would do is upgrade the antenna and hardwire the power source. It gives me a clean minimal setup and able to keep everything out of sight when needed. Good luck with your search.
THIS......below, and what you posted.

Midland GMRS MXT275, Midland MXTA 6dB upgraded antenna (NMO mount), included antenna as a spare.
Uniden 520XL 40 channel CBRS, Wilson 5000 antenna w/spring kit.
Radio Shack MURS 2 channel radio, will be replaced with a dual band Ham radio in the future (license required)

The Midland and Uniden being micro radios, easily fit on the passenger side of console. They nest between the console and the front seat bun. As such they are unobtrusive and out of the way. Future plan is to post up photo's in the....."Post up your cockpit thread". That thread gives some good ideas on different makes/model's, and how OB members mount their 'comm' gear! The micro units have defiantly made for cleaner installs, over the older Cobra 29 size units of the past. It is easy to place a towel over the radios, making them unnoticeable to the casual eye.

With the introduction of 'newer'- more micro mobile HAM units, it will be easier to also incorporate it into the trucks cabin area, when that becomes necessary.

I mounted a hood/fender bracket for a future Phone Booster, but with the continuing improvements of Cell service, I put that project on a back burner for now.

There are numerous threads under many topics that can help point your way to what will work for you. Find out what 'comm' gear the people in your circle use or prefer, and go from there. You can add-on as you go, to keep expenditures lower.OBLogo-Gold_Outlined_100x.png

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: KarmaSeoul

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Multiple options are good. I’ve got a 2 meter Icom rig, plus the ability to add several more radios. I even have an antenna farm, with the ability to swap antennas at will depending upon current needs. A924B307-8CB7-4338-95DD-9CA64651568B.jpegD7492B59-EE88-4FF2-B811-9E91C248BE90.jpegD466D42E-D898-4CB2-BA56-7C8DBE58C51D.jpeg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have three GMRS units for trail running, a BaoFeng BF-F8HP with local repeaters programed for emergency use. I've looked at CB but not many peeps I run with use them, everyone has GMRS with antenna upgrades.
I have a CB, but haven’t heard anything of value on it recently. Do you use handheld or mobile units for GMRS?

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have a CB, but haven’t heard anything of value on it recently. Do you use handheld or mobile units for GMRS?
Low cost hand held with upgraded antenna's. I think I have 15 channels on GMRS and each channel has 10 privacy codes so it's not crowded at all, just your group, range seems to be several miles unless you are in a hole. Several of us have two or more units so we can pass them out on group runs. That is how I was first exposed to GMRS.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

For my CB - I went with a Uniden CMX760 Bearcat. The main amp is hidden and I can put it away when I'm not using it.
bearcat.jpg
The mount I use is a typical cell phone clamp but it comes with more appropriate mounting hardware.

4L_Warrior

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

East Bay Ca.
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Galvan
Member #

Hello Docrandy!

Instead of spending money on a radio system that is poor at best, get your Ham License NOW!!

Only a couple of days of dedicated study time and you can move up to a much better comms system.

Then spend that money on Ham gear.

Just a thought! The test isn't hard at all.

Reactions: Sparksalot