Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Now just need to add a column for 'do you have a radio addiction and lots of room for antennas' and then lines to all choices below …. just asking for a friend, I don't have a problem, not sure why the top of my rig looks like a porcupine

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Now just need to add a column for 'do you have a radio addiction and lots of room for antennas' and then lines to all choices below …. just asking for a friend, I don't have a problem, not sure why the top of my rig looks like a porcupine
What’s this porcupine you speak of?

0C20FA47-1372-4EFD-897F-4C4F9D16F77A.jpeg

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I use a dual band VHF and UHF radio so I can use both GMRS and MURS frequencies. Planning on adding CB for roads that are being used by log trucks so I can hear them coming.
I have CB for pretty much the same reason, lots of logging trucks in our local hills and they all still use CB. did finally switch to the all controls on the mic style as it is seldom used and takes up way less space then.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I have CB for pretty much the same reason, lots of logging trucks in our local hills and they all still use CB. did finally switch to the all controls on the mic style as it is seldom used and takes up way less space then.
I had that type also in my last jeep but sold it. I will more than likely put one in the JT if I can find room ;-)

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I had that type also in my last jeep but sold it. I will more than likely put one in the JT if I can find room ;-)
Have the Uniden CMX760, radio is mounted under the drivers seat along with my FTM400 body. ran a cat 5 cable up under the dash and drilled a hole in a flat spot just below the level of the glove box door for a bulkhead fitting, now I can just plug in the mic and have a hanger for it on the left end of the dash grab bar. easy to unplug and stuff in a compartment when not needed. bigger issue was the antenna as I do not have good ground plane on the JK.
CB.jpg

DMFA

Rank II

Member I

Washington
First Name
David
Last Name
Allsup
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ZGD
Like “shrdt” (ha!), I use a dual band VHF/UHF and a CB. It hits the best of all options for me. I find myself using the CB radio a lot to monitor logging operations. It’s saved me a few times when going up hill on winding logging roads…those guys really get moving and they have way more lug nuts than I do.

shrdt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Spfd Oredgon
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hardt
Have the Uniden CMX760, radio is mounted under the drivers seat along with my FTM400 body. ran a cat 5 cable up under the dash and drilled a hole in a flat spot just below the level of the glove box door for a bulkhead fitting, now I can just plug in the mic and have a hanger for it on the left end of the dash grab bar. easy to unplug and stuff in a compartment when not needed. bigger issue was the antenna as I do not have good ground plane on the JK.
View attachment 250719
They make no ground plane antennas so you may look in to that if you can't get a good SWR. If you have to high of SWR then you loose range and risk damaging your radio.

Reactions: El-Dracho

shrdt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Spfd Oredgon
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hardt
Like “shrdt” (ha!), I use a dual band VHF/UHF and a CB. It hits the best of all options for me. I find myself using the CB radio a lot to monitor logging operations. It’s saved me a few times when going up hill on winding logging roads…those guys really get moving and they have way more lug nuts than I do.
Just FYI:
Most log trucks when loaded are between 80-89 thousand pounds and do not stop on a dime. I drive a log truck and on public logging roads I always have to worry about people speeding down the roads. Couple of years ago one of our drivers hit a SUV on a corner and totaled it. Lucky no one got hurt. This could have been a total different out come if the truck tipped over. The SUV could have been crushed even if the truck would not have landed on the SUV the logs only sit on the truck and would come off it and they could smash in to the SUV. So if you plan on being on roads with log trucks, do not speed, keep your speed to 25 MPH as most truck drives only do these speeds max to shorten the stopping distance. Get a CB and use the channels posted. If you see warning signs about lines across the road, do not cross, contact the yarder operator on the posted channel. These lines can snap and cut your truck in half or toss it if they raise the lines from the ground while you drive over them. These operators may not be able to see you so if you don't say anything they will not know that your there.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
They make no ground plane antennas so you may look in to that if you can't get a good SWR. If you have to high of SWR then you loose range and risk damaging your radio.
With a JK and as any different antennas and radio frequencies I have on board, a lot of testing and moving different antennas around was done to get the best SWR readings for the chosen bands. for the CB I ended up using a 5 foot top loaded firestick mounted on a short tower off of the spare tire rack and a couple of braided ground straps to the chassis. The top loaded coil got the bulk of the antenna length above the jeep and its roof top tent. After tuning I managed to get a 1.3 SWR reading on channel 19 and everything works well. It's amazing on the Ham and GMRS how much difference moving the antenna a couple of inches forward or back on the hood lip changes the SWR. Definitely recommend everyone check their readings and tune the antenna for best resonance on their most used frequency for best performance and to prevent damage to the transmitter.

Reactions: shrdt

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Just FYI:
Most log trucks when loaded are between 80-89 thousand pounds and do not stop on a dime. I drive a log truck and on public logging roads I always have to worry about people speeding down the roads. Couple of years ago one of our drivers hit a SUV on a corner and totaled it. Lucky no one got hurt. This could have been a total different out come if the truck tipped over. The SUV could have been crushed even if the truck would not have landed on the SUV the logs only sit on the truck and would come off it and they could smash in to the SUV. So if you plan on being on roads with log trucks, do not speed, keep your speed to 25 MPH as most truck drives only do these speeds max to shorten the stopping distance. Get a CB and use the channels posted. If you see warning signs about lines across the road, do not cross, contact the yarder operator on the posted channel. These lines can snap and cut your truck in half or toss it if they raise the lines from the ground while you drive over them. These operators may not be able to see you so if you don't say anything they will not know that your there.
Great comments, Used to haul heavy equipment years ago and cant believe how many times I would run into a vehicle flying around a blind corner, then having the deer in the headlights look when all they can see is a huge grill in the way.

Reactions: shrdt and El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
For VHF/ UHF I use a dual band antenna. In addition CB, because here in Europe still many Offroader and Ovelander unfortunately do not use HAM radio, but CB. Maybe this changes when the new license will be finally rolled out.

CB also, because there are still lorry drivers using it and you can talk e.g. on the highways with them and also to get traffic information. In addition, in a few countries in Europe, for example, Germany and Austria, we have a warning system, which warns on CB radio of dangerous places, such as road works. Very practical and it increases road safety (the warnings are even in different languages).

Plus the car radio antenna. So at least three antennas. Which brings us back to the porcupine - haha.

Reactions: OTH Overland