Launch Member

Contributor III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Lang
Member #

I will get to the point. Looking at choosing between two walkie talkie style handhelds from midland. My question: I want something that can use FRS for communication with unlicensed people. I would also like to eventually get my GMRS license. If I buy a GMRS handheld, do I have the option to also talk FRS on it? And if so, are FRS options on a GMRS radio the same as if just buying an FRS radio? If I can buy one radio that would do both I'd rather do that so I don't have to buy separate radios for unlicensed people......Thanks for the help. If that makes sense.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Quick answer is no. FRS radios are FRS radios and GMRS radios are GMRS radios.

Longer Answer-
"Dual Service" radios stopped being allowed to be sold in 2017 when they made a bunch of changes to the GMRS/FRS rules. While GMRS FRS share the same simplex frequencies you can't use a GMRS radio without a license. To be legal you would need to buy FRS radios for now then when you decide to finally get licensed you would need to pickup some GMRS radios to take advantage of the expanded capabilities of GMRS then you could hand out FRS radios to those unlicensed, if the other people are your family then they can use GMRS radios since they are covered under your license.

If it was me Id just spring for the license, install a mobile unit in your vehicle (way more power and external antenna options and not having to deal with the batteries in handhelds) and then a few FRS handhelds to hand out to unlicensed friends or for spotting. That way your bases are covered.

All that being said no one would be able to tell if you were using a Midland GMRS handheld without a license. The way the service is makes enforcement nearly impossible, which is the case for a lot of radio rules/regs.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

If you found an older radio set that still had the ability to do both...
Try eBay maybe yard sales?
My rino gps has all 22 channels across the frs/gmrs range. Kinda handy. Too bad they changed the rules.

Leojake

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Lang
Member #

Cool thanks guys. Just going with FRS for now. Probably a good simple thing to have around. Ill eventually graduate to more licensing when I get in touch with more people who have it. Thank you.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Cool thanks guys. Just going with FRS for now. Probably a good simple thing to have around. Ill eventually graduate to more licensing when I get in touch with more people who have it. Thank you.
You’re in Kennewick, Washington I see... there is a huge, HUGE ham crowed over there, very little in the way of GMRS useage. Most of the guys in your area have been getting their Ham licenses and switching over to 2m coms. @PNW EXPLR (KJ7LYZ) is your closest Member Representative. @JL Lou (KJ7ORY) just got his callsign. There are several huge repeater groups in the Tri-Cities that opens up communication for most of Washington, parts of Idaho and Eastern Oregon. I just spent 2 hours talking to WM7X from Kennewick on 2m. So if you’re wondering what way to go for a license I would highly recommend getting your Ham... don’t be intimidated by the test, it’s actually not hard... I suck at tests and passed my Tech with a 34 out of 35, missing my General by one question. Went back three months later and passed my General 35 out of 35, missing my extra by a long shot (24 out of 50). I will be revisiting the Extra here at the end of the year.
For more information about getting your license send any of the afore mentioned people a DM and we can get you in touch with a testing group... also check out the Tri-Cities Clubhouse thread to keep in touch with those local to you.

Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

Reactions: Prerunner1982