Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

First off who here has one?
I have been contemplating on getting a fridge for my rig. Then I saw trailrecon bought a Dometic fridge drawer I was intrigued by it. I honestly don't think i will need a full 40-50 qrt fridge in the back of my rig since it's mainly me and the wife on trips. When I went to overland expo east this year (2019) Dometic didn't have one on display because the fridge drawer is in the trucking line.
I'm thinking the drawer will be a great size for us but I cant find any interior dimensions online, as well as really any real life feed back on how the drawer is for people. I don't really need it to hold much hydration since we have a small cooler with us up in the front for easy access while driving. More for food that needs refrigeration while out camping and on the trail.
I am looking for feed back on how it is out in the real world, is it worth the money, how much can it hold, can it take abuse from trails, battery draw, and any other input.
Thank you in advance.

Ianb

Rank 0

Contributor I

Australia
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Berghofer
Hi
we investigated the drawer as a standard height fridge was a problem fitting under our bed in the camper van. Pros it looks good and fits tight spots. Cons its fixed so no longer able to run a lead and have fridge outside, it still needs ventilation for efficient running So needs ventilation, volume/ $ is much lower than regular fridges. Maintenance is harder, we had one trip over a lot of rough road and shook something loose in our fridge causing a stop. Quick return and was fixed that afternoon. overall we did not think the drawer worth the extra cost and inconvenience as compared to others.

OVRLNDER

US East Region Member Rep, NY
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

Hi
we investigated the drawer as a standard height fridge was a problem fitting under our bed in the camper van. Pros it looks good and fits tight spots. Cons its fixed so no longer able to run a lead and have fridge outside, it still needs ventilation for efficient running So needs ventilation, volume/ $ is much lower than regular fridges. Maintenance is harder, we had one trip over a lot of rough road and shook something loose in our fridge causing a stop. Quick return and was fixed that afternoon. overall we did not think the drawer worth the extra cost and inconvenience as compared to others.
Thank you for some feedback.
I like the idea of a stationary fridge, I don't see a need for me to keep moving it.
What type of maintenance needs to be done on the drawer system and the other style of fridges. I have honestly not heard about maintenancing anything on a portable fridge beside making sure it stays clean.
By extra cost you mean fixing it and the maintenance?

Ianb

Rank 0

Contributor I

Australia
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Berghofer
Thank you for some feedback.
I like the idea of a stationary fridge, I don't see a need for me to keep moving it.
What type of maintenance needs to be done on the drawer system and the other style of fridges. I have honestly not heard about maintenancing anything on a portable fridge beside making sure it stays clean.
By extra cost you mean fixing it and the maintenance?
ok what I mean is to get the fridge out for dometic to repair, with a regular fridge just carry in to service centre. In our case the shaking from the road loosened a part that the tech refitted. It took fifteen minutes to fix. Built in fridge different story. I bought our cfx on special so volume per dollar it worked out a lot cheaper than the drawer system. I still like the idea of a sleek integrated drawer fridge just didn’t work for us and as it turned out we are happy with the esky style on a slide. It also makes it easier to upgrade and or take out and leave at the camp. Really depends on how you would use. I surf so sometimes we set a camp, fridge stove tables under gazebo. I take car to surf come back later my wife might stay at camp or go with me. I run a lead out to fridge when back, fridge stays in shade not in locked car. Hope that is of some use to you.

OVRLNDER

Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

ok what I mean is to get the fridge out for dometic to repair, with a regular fridge just carry in to service centre. In our case the shaking from the road loosened a part that the tech refitted. It took fifteen minutes to fix. Built in fridge different story. I bought our cfx on special so volume per dollar it worked out a lot cheaper than the drawer system. I still like the idea of a sleek integrated drawer fridge just didn’t work for us and as it turned out we are happy with the esky style on a slide. It also makes it easier to upgrade and or take out and leave at the camp. Really depends on how you would use. I surf so sometimes we set a camp, fridge stove tables under gazebo. I take car to surf come back later my wife might stay at camp or go with me. I run a lead out to fridge when back, fridge stays in shade not in locked car. Hope that is of some use to you.
I get what your saying. For your needs it isn't worth it. For me the drawer fridge would be in the back of my jeep. The setup I'm thinking would have the drawer fridge on the left with just a drawer to the right. While the top is just a flat surface that I can put stuff I need for my trips.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I don't own one but I've used it on a week long trip. I have a 50 and a 63 liter fridge for comparison though.

For what you are describing, I think the CD-30 drawer fridge would be fine for 3-4 days between restocking. They also make a CD-20. The temperature dial takes a little getting use to. The rear of the fridge seems to be colder than the front. Most couples get by on a 50 liter fridge but 1/3 of it is drinks. So without drinks, 30 liter should be fine.

OVRLNDER

Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

I don't own one but I've used it on a week long trip. I have a 50 and a 63 liter fridge for comparison though.

For what you are describing, I think the CD-30 drawer fridge would be fine for 3-4 days between restocking. They also make a CD-20. The temperature dial takes a little getting use to. The rear of the fridge seems to be colder than the front. Most couples get by on a 50 liter fridge but 1/3 of it is drinks. So without drinks, 30 liter should be fine.
Thank you for the info.