First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
Hey all,

New member here (#2904). Looks like a great resource.

For anyone who might want to weigh in, I am pulling a small off-road trailer I've built around White Rim in May. I've done this trip before by Mtn Bike and I remember the few hills that would be a significant challenge were I to be pulling a trailer down, while someone else was coming up. This is my first OR trailer and so it will be a learning curve for me. Any thoughts? My first thought was to leave the trailer at the top, drive a passenger to the bottom, and then drive back up to get the trailer. The person at the bottom would be there to stop someone who may be getting ready to go up, and ask (kindly) if they wouldn't mind waiting until I got back down with the trailer. I remember the dicey hills are not that long, but they would suck to back up with a trailer (probably not even possible actually).

Also, we'll be there May 6/7/8 (after spending a couple of days in the Flatops in Western Colorado), going counter-clockwise and out Potash even though Shaffer is way more fun, but due to the above. Would be cool to meet-up with anyone else who might be there. Will have mobile ham radio up and monitoring Wilderness Protocol frequency.

Your suggestions/thoughts re: the trailer really appreciated!

cross-posted to Southwest

Justin Moss

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I'm interested to see what others have to say about this topic. I'm new to towing an expedition trailer and have a trip planned on a narrow road and would like to know if there are any tips for handling a situation like this. What you say makes sense. It adds to the amount of time it takes to go through the trail but to be able to go down a rough section and not have to worry about oncoming traffic would make it a lot relaxing. Thanks.

Justin

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I will be in Moab that same weekend and while I wont be doing the White Rim (jealous) I will be able to help you out if you run into trouble...or offer you a cold one at camp some night. Most of the trail has very good visibility to be able to see another vehicle coming which will give you time to plan your pull-offs. While there will always be a few people out on the trails that are inconsiderate, most are not and will back up to help out someone with a trailer.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

First pic is Lockhart Basin. Second is on the White Rim trail. Not a big deal. Pull away. 4 Low is your friend. Only thing I wish I had for this trip was chains due to some icy spots in the White Rim trail. Now Lockhart is a different story. The north end is fairly technical and a bit challenging when pulling a trailer.

Not a big deal on the White Rim trail. With regards to traffic well that's a lot of effort. What happens when you drive down and drop them off and then when on the way back up someone else is coming down while you're going up. And then another and another.

Helps if I show the trailer I guess.

Reactions: FauxLux

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Centennial, Colorado, 80016
First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT

First pic is Lockhart Basin. Second is on the White Rim trail. Not a big deal. Pull away. 4 Low is your friend. Only thing I wish I had for this trip was chains due to some icy spots in the White Rim trail. Now Lockhart is a different story. The north end is fairly technical and a bit challenging when pulling a trailer.

Not a big deal on the White Rim trail. With regards to traffic well that's a lot of effort. What happens when you drive down and drop them off and then when on the way back up someone else is coming down while you're going up. And then another and another.

Helps if I show the trailer I guess.

Just noticed this, sorry.

As you may have seen. I ran into a bit of a disaster (broke tranny), before I even got on the WR. Next year......

Thanks for the reply! And, your point about not being able to predict someone coming the other way is well taken.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk