Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I pulled the trigger and bought a 10lb Ignik growler. Thoroughly enjoying its portability and capacity. I am typically cooking for one so I’m not using it for extended cooking. In addition, to save time I use my Jetboil for coffee & tea. This helps prolong the life of the Ignik. So far it seems like it could easily go for 5-7 days before refilling, I plan on doing more testing to hone those numbers down. The cozy it’s insulated in has worked great in low temps. I’m pleased with it.
If all you're using it for is cooking I would expect 10lbs to go more than a month unless you are doing long simmers or reductions or something.

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

I pulled the trigger and bought a 10lb Ignik growler. Thoroughly enjoying its portability and capacity. I am typically cooking for one so I’m not using it for extended cooking. In addition, to save time I use my Jetboil for coffee & tea. This helps prolong the life of the Ignik. So far it seems like it could easily go for 5-7 days before refilling, I plan on doing more testing to hone those numbers down. The cozy it’s insulated in has worked great in low temps. I’m pleased with it.
If all you're using it for is cooking I would expect 10lbs to go more than a month unless you are doing long simmers or reductions or something.
You’re right. My numbers are way off. After I wrote that I recalled the last time I topped off and the person didn’t even charge me because it was so little, when I thought it would have been half empty.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

For those of you who have the 5lb or other size tanks on your rigs, do you ever have to have the tanks/seals inspected or serviced? I'm just wondering about using the same tank long term if there's any type of maintenance or anything to prevent leaks or to make sure it's always good to go. I've never worried about it with the 20lb tanks for my grill. I've just always assumed that the company checks the tank when I exchange it before they refill it and put it back out.

In some states, like Mass, the bigger pro places that do a lot of tank-filling do a visual inspection of your tank when filling and if rusty (sometimes even if just a little) or sketchy looking, they will refuse to fill. Propane tanks also have markings that indicate manufacturing dates so fillers can tell how old a tank is, even if repainted to look new. Here's a page that explains all that: How to tell if your propane tank is expired and what to do next.

Here's two of my tanks, though I see I may need to look further for mfg dates, perhaps.

propane-markings_5792.JPG

propane-markings_5793.JPG

Also - in wandering all over the country, I've always been able to find a place that will refill, which is most always less expensive in amt of fuel received than exchanging. There are a ton of articles and examples online about that. Places to refill are usually easy to find in most cities and especially near popular recreation areas, as a lot of RVs and motor homes have tanks that can't be exchanged.

I'm not fond of the exchange places with tanks in cages outside that you just swap your tank for another and pay inside.

I use a fair amount of propane when adventuring, for cooking, heat, for my propane fire ring in places that don't allow wood fires because of fire danger. I even use propane for lighting scenes in photography like this (propane fire ring as only light source illuminating the brush and this side of the trailer, with a little LED in the RTT):

roaddude_XV2-milkyway-7124-900.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Scrounger and Shahn

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

Bay Colony Street, Las Vegas, Nevada 89131, United States
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
I have a 5lb tank. I purchased an AT tank holder and I have it bolted to my roof rack, next to my other potentially explosive gas cans. One thing, the last two times I had it filled they filled to around 4 1/2 pounds, and charged accordingly. Maybe something to do with the calibration of the shutoffs for larger volume tanks.
I have a stainless braided 8 ' hose with an adapter to use my stove. My joolca hose is just long enough. I am sure I loose a little gas with that long hose, but just a little.