Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lachine, Montreal, QC, Canada
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagne
Member #

Please share your thoughts and experiences on President CB's.

Last year I wanted to buy a Midland that has the CB and mic all in the same unit, I forgot what the model# is.

The store owner told me not to, said they have terrible sound and very limited range, he highly recommended the President brand. I trusted him and bought the Andy USA model.

Last week, on my second trip using it, it stop working on a pretty rough road. It just went dead, does not power on any more.

I think something broke inside because of the vibrations.

I wonder if any one else has bad experiences with President CB's.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I don't have a President CB, but if my Uniden Bearcat 980SSB ever breaks I would strongly consider replacing it with a President CB.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I’m currently looking for a CB for the Jeep. Will be interested to hear people’s thoughts on the President line.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Last year I wanted to buy a Midland that has the CB and mic all in the same unit, I forgot what the model# is.

The store owner told me not to, said they have terrible sound and very limited range, he highly recommended the President brand. I trusted him and bought the Andy USA model.

Last week, on my second trip using it, it stop working on a pretty rough road. It just went dead, does not power on any more.

What was the price difference between the two radios?

Check the fuse and all wiring connections both at the ends and any you may have made along the wire.
Range has to do with many factors, the radio itself being the least of them. Antenna mounting, antenna height and terrain are more important in determining range.

Reactions: TerryD and MazeVX

EricGagne

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagne
Member #

What was the price difference between the two radios?

Check the fuse and all wiring connections both at the ends and any you may have made along the wire.
Range has to do with many factors, the radio itself being the least of them. Antenna mounting, antenna height and terrain are more important in determining range.
I did check the fuse and it's good. I even exchanged it with the one from my backup cb to make sure.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Commander Overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Mandas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6JXZ
President makes a good CB, sounds like you have a power problem, check fuses and cables and the usual suspects. Recommendations from me would be Uniden CBs, they make some great products, like the CMX70, 510xl, and as the gentleman commented on, the 980ssb which is a great radio. I run the 885 hybrid in my rig, I”m a comms guy so I have CB, GMRS and Ham. final recommendation would be a uniden rig, but ultimately Ham is the best way to go. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Billiebob

EricGagne

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagne
Member #

My backup CB is a BC 880, only problem with it is I did not store it properly in the Jeep and the channel selector button broke during the same trip, it must have jumped around and hit something. I am trying to find a replacement button.

It's kinda big though which is why I wanted to changed for the Midland, I wanted something small in the Jeep, I ended up with the President instead.

Ham is good as long as other people have it. If everybody else in a group has a CB then ham is useless.

It's not easy to get a ham license in Canada, one needs to learn some technical stuff. The exam has 25 questions on regulations and 75 on technical and electronics, you need 70% to get a license.

Last edited:
Reactions: Graeman

EricGagne

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagne
Member #

The President CB is fixed. I started opening everything to check the connections. It turns out that the shop owner gave me double protection when he extended the power cord. I have an inline fuse on the wire which I had checked but I also have a fuse in the 12v plug, that one is dead.

Reactions: MazeVX

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
That's a neat looking CB. President has always made good radios. I've been considering the McKinley with SSB for a while myself. I'm just not sure I'd use CB enough though to have one in the rig right now.

Reactions: Graeman

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Those President radios are very nice looking and full of features. This one in particular looks to be the size of my Midland 15 watt GMRS, even the bracket that holds the radio looks to be the exact same one.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So curious minds want to know... how does a president compare to a 520 xl pro?

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE

Presidents are an excellent professional grade CB. Personally I am partial to Cobras, but Uniden, Cobra, President, and Galaxy are all top notch radios, it is a matter of selecting which one fits your installation space and budget, as well as which bells and whistles you might wish to have. IMO, if going with a full size CB, ye might as well get a CB that has SSB, but that is just my preference... I think all the other major features I like are standard to most every CB. Space is very much a factor when mounting it. for this reason I could not use my Cobra 148nwst in my 3rd gen tacoma... because of this I am going to order and install a Uniden CMX760 ultra compact CB. My cobra will get mounted with my ham radio base station when I rebuild my ham equipment.