Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
Hello Everyone!!
One of the visions I had for this section was to put out practice scenarios for everyone to work through. It gives the opportunity for us to practice what we have learned, learn from others, and for those without any training, the opportunity to get familiar with what can happen. I will be posting scenarios, some related to Overlanding, some related to everyday life, some medical and some trauma. Each scenario will have it's own thread and there is one rule:

1. Thou shall not criticize/critique another persons responses.

In order to keep this friendly and keep the information consistent, I will moderate as needed so the information is consistent and follows standardized training. I respect that there are many people with a lot of training and practice in this community but for those wanting to practice, they need to feel that they can try without fear of being criticized. I will do my best to update the thread every 48-72 hours with either are information or replies to questions, etc to allow time for people to post their plan of action.

The goal is not to get to the answer quickly but to focus on the steps needed to care for the patient. All emergencies should be treated the same and care should follow the same protocol:

1. Assess the scene to insure that the rescuers are safe and that no further harm can come to the victim(s)

2. Primary Survey: Asses the immediate threats to life

The ABC's of Trauma

Each step requires that you check the issue related to the letter and you can't move on to the next letter until you have addressed any needs. This is done so that the injuries that will kill the fastest are addressed early and not skipped. Here is a basic outline of this concept:

Airway: check to make sure the airway (trachea and upper bronchioles) are open and not obstructed. Intervention: clear the airway of any foreign object. Keep the airway open wit the head tilt-chin lift

Breathing: check to make sure air is moving in and out. Intervention: mouth to mouth or other forms of artificial breathing,

Circulation: check to make sure there are pulses and that the heart is beating. This is also the step you deal with bleeding (Caveat: massive bleeding should be dealt with first and quickly, usually with a tourniquet or other pressure dressing. Do not mess about with stopping bleeding and not address the Airway or Breathing). Interventions: tourniquets, pressure dressings, chest compressions.

Disability: check the patient's neurological status including disabilities (can't move a finger etc) and for obvious deformities of bones or body parts.

Expose and Examine: remove clothing so that you can examine the whole body so as to not miss anything. You will need to keep the patient warm during this so keep that in mind (expose, check, cover with blanket).

3. Focused Exam and History: A comprehensive head to toe exam

4. Documentation: write down what you found, what you do

5. Monitoring: repeat the Primary Survey over and over until help arrives

Keep this in mind when you run the scenarios. If you are new to this thought process, print out a version of it and go for it!!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.