PORTABLE TOILETS!!

• HTML tutorial

Daniel Diaz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Harlingen, Texas
Member #

Alight OB ladies and gentlemen, I would love to hear your opinions on the "Who, What, Where, and When" about portable toilets. I have officially approached that "bridge" and ready to cross it where I'm highly considering one. Especially because I have little ones and some of the places I go to are far from restrooms. Do I REALLY need one? Or do we just continue to naturally fertilize the Earth?

What brands are you using? Pros? Cons?

What about transportation? I can't imagine loading up a portable toilet in my Jeep, even after cleaning it. Just strap it down on the ol' roof rack?

Has anyone used the Coleman Large Flush Toilet? That's actually the one I'm considering on buying. I am very much aware of the other brands out there (Dometic, CHH, Earthtec, Camco, and many others....) and of course I'm looking for the "best bang for the buck." Or is this one of those items that you get what you pay for? Should I spend the extra coin?

I'd love to hear from those with experience on the subject matter. Thank you!! *clinks beer mugs*

Daniel Diaz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Harlingen, Texas
Member #

Reactions: Steve

nicolaskersey

Rank 0

Contributor I

New York, NY, USA
First Name
Nicol
Last Name
Askersey
Member #

As I look at new businesses on the Internet, it is always a bit disconcerting when they give the best portable toilets to their customers. The very thought of them calling themselves a "portable toilet" or a "dontal toilet" makes me roll my eyes in irritation. Can anyone suggest me the best portable toilets? Not, until I actually have to use one!

The very thought of someone suggesting the best portable toilets to me makes me want to run as fast as I can from the Internet, out my window and away I go. But I have come to realise that there are a couple of different things that people might want in their bathroom. If you are looking for a large amount of room, then a small toilet might be what you are looking for. If you are a young family that often has members from the local gay community staying with you, then maybe a toilet with a double door for privacy is what you need.

What is the best portable toilets? There isn't a single person or company that can make a definitive answer to that question because every brand, model and design are different. One company might like a certain type of design, while another might not, even if they think it looks great. There are too many individual opinions to be mentioned here but the ones I am particularly interested in are:

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I was in Baja with a friend with a portable toilet in of his truck. It was summer and very hot, we were moving to a new spot and he kept hearing a hissing in the back of the truck. He worried about propane and went to investigate. He pulled his gear out looking for the hiss, it was coming from the toilet. He pressed the flush handle and KABOOM! Sprayed poo allover. The effluent had heated up and built up a back pressure.
I use a 5gal bucket with a salt lid and sealable bags. I press the air out before zipping closed.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Diet, depending on what you eat will determine the size you need plus the frequency of use.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I use this: GO Anywhere Portable Toilet®/The PETT®

Plus this: Ozark Trail 2-Room Instant Shower/Utility Shelter - Walmart.com

And I really like the setup. I went with the "2-room" tent cuz it also gives you some room to use it as a changing area, "shower" without having to move the commode out, etc. I got it when I was still tent camping, so I didn't necessarily need that room, but now that I have a little teardrop (that you obviously can't stand up in) I really appreciate the space. It comes with a black bladder that you are meant to fill, then set out in the sun to warm it up and have a little gravity shower. It actually works okay, but obviously it's not like having real water pressure. Now that I have the teardrop I could set this close 'nough to the trailer to disconnect the line from the sink faucet and put the shower-head that came with it on and run it into the privacy tent... I just haven't yet. I tend to pace this further from camp, for somewhat obvious reasons. Plus, when I'm Overlanding I don't tend to go for real showers. I'm usually only out 1-2 nights and just use hero wipes, and on longer trips I tend to be near a body of water I just use instead.

Anyway, it makes for some nice peaceful spots to "reflect on life" or whatever else you need to do:
1629044998280.png

-TJ