Portable Propane Fire Rings during Stage 1 Fire Restrictions in Colorado

• HTML tutorial

Denver6161

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver
Member #

I've been hearing differing opinions on the matter and thought it best to throw my question out to the internet. Colorado has a number of counties and national forests currently under stage one fire restrictions. During a stage one restriction, can you still use a portable propane fire ring? Like the little red campfire thing or something of the like? Just curious. Thank you all in advance!

Reactions: HeliSniper

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

2017 was a record fire year in BC. I had plans but on July 1st when the fires took off...... I started just camping on the beach. 2018 broke the 2017 record, same thing, I never even thought of anything involving a flame, legal or not. Why not do more to help than just doing what is legal. Instead of a fire ring watch the stars........... and pack a shovel.

Denver6161

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver
Member #

I don't disagree with you at all. I'm just trying to understand people's experience with the product during the fire ban. When we were out a few weeks ago (sans campfire) I did notice that some people were using them seemingly without any issue from the rangers. Just wanted to better understand the ruling.
Trust me, if I had a beach close by we would definitely be trying some beach camping! Sounds amazing!

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
Every place may be different, I'd suggest talking to a Ranger directly, I know here in WA they have a office right before heading to the hills for any q's I have. From what I am reading, which should not be used as gospel, propane (especially when deemed your only source of heat) is fine, charcoal and wood burning is what all the worry is about.

While *others* are seen using products during a ban, that does not mean it is okay, as when the ranger or sherrif came by our campspot one year said, theres a TON of land, and only a few of them, so there's no way enforcement is even close to being covered. Just what they catch as they happen to drive by.

Again, rules likely vary, I'd hit up your local ranger station as my $0.02.

I don't disagree with you at all. I'm just trying to understand people's experience with the product during the fire ban. When we were out a few weeks ago (sans campfire) I did notice that some people were using them seemingly without any issue from the rangers. Just wanted to better understand the ruling.
Trust me, if I had a beach close by we would definitely be trying some beach camping! Sounds amazing!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I did notice that some people were using them seemingly without any issue from the rangers
Basically there are no hot embers so you are good to go with the propane ring. And shut the valve kills the flamr, but the issue is the metal ring is plenty hot enough to start a twig or leaf on fire during a Fire Ban, the danger is not over just because you turned the flame off.