Plano Camp Kitchen (Beta Box Version)

• HTML tutorial

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I use three Plano containers to organize and pack my junk in when off exploring-adventuring-overlanding. One has been used to house gear for the camp kitchen, but as everything gets stacked on top of other stuff, it ends up being a disorganized mess. Rewind to yesterday, when I decided my Sunday project would be to start in one fabbing up a camp kitchen-chuck box from one of the Plano containers.

It is in it's testing stage right now, so I have dubbed it my "Beta Box".
I hinged the lid, and put strap wires on it to hold it back. I hinged a small cubby box into the lid as well, to hold cutlery and utensils. I have temporary dividers set up right now, and will test the configuration to see if it works for me, before making permanent dividers. I have to find a folding paper towel dispenser to attach to the outside front as well. Its first test will be this weekend.

I have been trying to keep tabs on what we use and what does not get used over this past year, and have removed a number of things that while I thought may be beneficial were not ever being utilized, or were duplicates.
The Wife and I have toured on motorbikes for a number of years, and one thing that was passed down to me (in regards to packing) was to take all the clothes you think you need, lay them on your bed.....and put half away. I am trying to keep this minimalist ideology in mind as I pack up my camp kitchen. We will see how she goes.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Love it!

That corrugated plastic should be durable enough long term.

For the paper towels, maybe just a bungie cord would work well enough.

I need something like this for the same reasons you mentioned. I recently ordered a couple Squish brand bowls and a colander. It's nice to have a big bowl, but it takes up SOO much space.

-M

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I have the collapsible colander and mixing bowl in the travel trailer, but try to stay away from cooking food that requires them when out overlanding.

I use Barilla Pronto pasta which does not require the need for a colander (and it does taste the same as regular boiled pasta)

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I use three Plano containers to organize and pack my junk in when off exploring-adventuring-overlanding. One has been used to house gear for the camp kitchen, but as everything gets stacked on top of other stuff, it ends up being a disorganized mess. Rewind to yesterday, when I decided my Sunday project would be to start in one fabbing up a camp kitchen-chuck box from one of the Plano containers.

It is in it's testing stage right now, so I have dubbed it my "Beta Box".
I hinged the lid, and put strap wires on it to hold it back. I hinged a small cubby box into the lid as well, to hold cutlery and utensils. I have temporary dividers set up right now, and will test the configuration to see if it works for me, before making permanent dividers. I have to find a folding paper towel dispenser to attach to the outside front as well. Its first test will be this weekend.

I have been trying to keep tabs on what we use and what does not get used over this past year, and have removed a number of things that while I thought may be beneficial were not ever being utilized, or were duplicates.
The Wife and I have toured on motorbikes for a number of years, and one thing that was passed down to me (in regards to packing) was to take all the clothes you think you need, lay them on your bed.....and put half away. I am trying to keep this minimalist ideology in mind as I pack up my camp kitchen. We will see how she goes.

Very cool idea! How's it working so far?

Reactions: awolfnspirit

Traveler I

Toronto
Nice idea. I remember, once when we went for camping we found it difficult to carry all the utensils. We just took a pan and a teapot. We used disposable plates and glasses and we threw those in the bin after we were done using it. My husband loves to drink coco-cola and so we took a dozen of them and packed it in cardboard boxes. We even made an oven using these cardboard boxes, initially, we didn't think that it would work but it did. We made it using self-storage boxes, aluminum foil, reflector, and tapes. It was interesting even though it took us a lot of time experimenting.

Reactions: trikebubble