Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

All,
Just to make you all aware, Pep has taken on some lines in their speed shops. 23zero, snomaster, smittybilt and more coming. We did a little photo shoot today to promote it for Pep..this was in East Brunswick NJ

The details are on the officialpepboysspeedshop IG page if you are interested in learning more.

86857560_526237714666755_3662347668752957440_n.jpg

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Nice, cheap Chinese crap is on the way.
We are now officially mainstream.
You went mainstream when you paid to be a member of this forum. They are carrying Zamp which is USA made, 23zero which is Aussie, and Snomaster which is a mix of countries. But, you know that already.

Reactions: lemaycanique

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I paid to be a member because I see a value in the information posted. Could care less about badges or the rest of the ”community” BS.
I wouldn’t buy anything from PepBoys if they were last store on earth.
You got a problem with that?
So what you go to Autozone or Orily’s then?

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

All right boys, stop flexing your interwebs muscles.
I see both sides.

Expansion to mainstream makes it easier for people to see and understand what it is we do...
Expansion to mainstream makes it easier for people to see and understand what it is we do... and fuck it up for all of us.

I'm an Autozone guy simply becasue they are closest to my home. Have never seen a Pep Boys shop let alone been in one. Terrible commercials though.

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

Such anger of something so minor....interwebz....

This is interesting, may have to swing by to see what they have on hand

Reactions: grubworm

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Well a decade ago mainstream meant selling fart can exhaust pipes to hondas and cold air intakes with cone filters that actually make the intake air hotter. Lets see what will happen with this. If they have better service than 4wp and stuff thats actually useful id use em, just not for an oil change. Youll know were mainstream when fast and furious makes a overlanding movie.
Harbor freight has a line of offroading gear but none of us are clammering to use any of that although at this point it may be better or same than some of the big name stuff thats traded quality for quantity and higher prices over the years

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My point was Autozone, Orily’s, Pep Boys and Shucks are all owned by the same corporation. All their parts come from the same source and get out into different packages... I know, I was a corporate store manager for all four companies as well as store clerk for NAPA and CarQuest in my early years.

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

My point was Autozone, Orily’s, Pep Boys and Shucks are all owned by the same corporation. All their parts come from the same source and get out into different packages... I know, I was a corporate store manager for all four companies as well as store clerk for NAPA and CarQuest in my early years.
That's not even close to true.

Reactions: MeHere!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ok so Pep-Boys is the only one mentioned that isn’t owned by the same firm.. Peo-Boys was bought out of the firm in what looks like 2014, about 20 years after I worked for them. Autozone- I meant Advanced Auto Parts.

NAPA, Big A (if it even exists any more), CarQuest, all use the same suppliers (manufacturing companies like Wix, A1 Cordone, Standard Motor Products, Sierra, etc) for their parts...

Autozone, Orily’s, Pep-Boys, Advanced Auto Parts use rebranded parts...

No part store manufactures their own brand of parts... this excludes OEM parts like Motocraft, AC Delco , MOPAR, etc. these are made by Ford, GM, and Doge respectfully.

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

It's kinda close, in only the Oreily and Shucks part, OR bought them years ago, Autozone is it's own independent company and Pep Boys is owned by Ichan and Napa is owned by GPC

Advance is their own Co. as well with several subs under them

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I live in a small town in NW Florida, nobody in this town sells Overlanding gear. The deep Southeast has very little in the way of places to shop for Overlanding gear, as mainstream as it has become we're still left out here. All my Overlanding gear has been purchased online.

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Icahn Auto Group - Pep Boys, Auto Plus, Consumer Auto Parts, Aamco, Precision Tune and some others.
Advance purchased Car Quest and is co branded for some of the part. There are also independent CQ's
Autozone is Autozone.
NAPA is GPC and also independent owned.
O'reilly is O'reilly but they are making acquisitions as we speak.

All of these companies sell auto parts. Some name brand, some private labeled, some bulk bought, and some not. However, Pep Boys is the only place you can go to and purchase the accessories you may need. For example. You want to install solar? Go to Pep and buy a Zamp kit. Want to piece together ram mounts? That's coming! Want and awning and RTT..walk into Pep. Break a tie rod on the trail? Pep also has Moog parts. Etc, etc. They all have their ups and down but where the parts come from are also different. The only exception would be Cardone which will label for anyone.

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

I would do my research and buy the best parts needed for the job, Me i buy online i hate going to auto parts stores and being disappointed every time.
I chuckle every time i drive buy. Never have what i need and have to order it and cant even trust its the right part without research.

Reactions: M Rose

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
I want to buy local whenever I can. Needed rear struts and shocks assembly for my car. Went to three chain autoparts stores for KYB product...around $260 each. Went to an independent, $280 each.........Rock Auto $120 each!!! Sorry.....I'm locally loyal, but not THAT loyal! Oh, and none of them had them in stock and had to order them....three days to a week wait.

Rock Auto had them to me in under 48 hours.....

Reactions: wandering nomad

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

Just for the record i buy online locally, that way i know the parts are correct and Northridge down the street has tons of cool stuff.