Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
So. Have been fighting an inner battle with sharing information about my research. Facebook disappoints me often with the public, and I get discouraged sharing info. I guess going forward...if I can find something in a Google search I will report my knowledge. If not, gonna keep it for myself(or members I have built a "trust" in)
Welcome to THAT club.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Made it into Tuscarora to scout sites and dirt roads.

Lots of dead ends in the forest. But it is a beautiful one for sure.

Some random pics from the trip.

Lots of backtracking. But it always amazes what you missed going east on the way back west.20220430_185844_HDR.jpg20220430_184251.jpg20220430_174202.jpg20220430_172409.jpg20220430_171124_HDR.jpg20220430_151924.jpg20220430_143002.jpgScreenshot_20220430-201939.png

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Sent for a permit Sunday night using the DCNR reservation site. Got confirmation and the Permit this morning at 0830.

Can not wait to head to Tuscarora for the Holiday. Really anxious to be in the forest. We got a few more campground trips before then...but just something better about the motorized sites.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Debating my next area of exploration.

I want to get to Elk. I just can not nail down the time. The problem is...i feel the need to drive from home out through Moshannon to maximize dirt. Guess I need to just hit the highway and get there. This past winter made the roads nearly impassable, screwing up my plans.

We head to Tuscarora in a few weekends. I plan to do more hiking and fishing than overlanding.

I want to get to the Pine Creek area...but tourism is about to explode. I have been there many, many times...just never in the guise of overlanding.

With the recent rain I would sure love to head to Loyalsock...to see the waterfalls. Just too far away at the moment.

Rothrock and Moshannon are only 30 minutes away...i hit them often...but after that I am looking at an hour to an hour and half to get anywhere else.

Buchanan SF might be my next adventure...but the forest is so spread out...not sure how much I can get done on a day trip.

Ohiopyle and Michaux are just too far also..i really want to check out some things on both purple lizard maps though. Would like to go to MT. Davis.

Then of course Cooks Forest and the ANF have been calling. Just so far for a day trip and I like to scout out sites before I go camp. Gonna have to wing it though there anyway, as they are first come first serve.

Just brainstorming and throwing around ideas. Was curious if anyone else is adventuring in these areas? Or if anyone has somewhere they would like scouted? To help motivate me to spend the highway time to get to these further forests.

What is everyone else doing with the summer season closing in?

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Got another trip in.

Attachments

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Got a few short drives in. Did some ice scouting...all clear!

Finished my adventure pack. I am ready to get many miles on the tires and much more Pennsylvania dirt on my boots.And many nights camping in the forest.

Looking to get further into the forest than Pennsylvania allows vehicles.

Yeah,I like Purple Lizard Maps!IMG_20230110_125725.jpg

Reactions: akdigital3d