Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
We really want to visit Palo Duro Canyon, regardless. But, since we're going anyway, I thought I'd see if there are any off road trails you can take a rig on. I've searched the forums and found several older posts with a mention of it being recommended, but nothing about actual trails. I found the 2019 Jeep Jamboree takes place there this month, and it looks like they are wheeling as it's in the itinerary. I don't have a Jeep, so I won't be going then. Besides, I'd prefer to travel a little quieter. Anyway, does anyone know of trails you can just go on without being in a sanctioned event?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

As far as I know the trails in Palo Duro canyon are on private land and are only open for special events like Jeep Jamboree.
Here is some info I found regarding public roads through Palo Duro that may be a nice drive.

"I'll give you directions to start at the south end of the trail. When you reach Clarendon, turn left (SW) on to FM 2162 (AKA Koogle St.,) Which will be the stoplight between the Trading Post and Allsups. Take 2162 all the way down to CO RD X. This is essentially the start of the "trail". Just follow the road. There are many side roads, but explore at your own risk, all of the surrounding land is private ranch land. That being said keep an eye out for cattle. You will cross several cattle guards, but don't worry, as long as you stay on the main road, you'll be okay.
You'll come up to a ranch house, Slow down as you travel through this section as there are children that live there. Drive over their cattle guard, and into their fenced property (remember you're still on the CO RD.) At this point you will make a Right hand turn (N) on to what becomes CO RD 25. Just follow the road back up out of the canyon. It will eventually Lead to CO RD 21, Which will take you out to FM 2272 (AKA Romeo Rd). Follow this road to the west, and it will Lead you out to TX 207. To get back to US 287, simply follow 207 north, and it will meet up with 287 on the west end of Claude, right next to the Cefco. "

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
As far as I know the trails in Palo Duro canyon are on private land and are only open for special events like Jeep Jamboree.
Here is some info I found regarding public roads through Palo Duro that may be a nice drive.
Nice, thanks.
That's the only problem with TX, no public land.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I would LOVE to explore palo duro canyon trails and camping! When? Wife and 2 kids are off for summer.
We aren't sure yet. I believe there's only camping there, but some public road "trails" nearby. Being north, it might be cooler than Big Bend, so this summer might be a go with my wife and youngest boy. Planning a Hill Country trip first to break in the new gear sometime soon.

Dodge Cummins

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arlington Texas
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Garland
We aren't sure yet. I believe there's only camping there, but some public road "trails" nearby. Being north, it might be cooler than Big Bend, so this summer might be a go with my wife and youngest boy. Planning a Hill Country trip first to break in the new gear sometime soon.
I have a 5 cylinder 1970 mercedes that will never die!! My Dodge 6 cylinder cummins is a powerhouse and bullet proof. 8 cylinders are not everything

Reactions: roots66

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I have a 5 cylinder 1970 mercedes that will never die!! My Dodge 6 cylinder cummins is a powerhouse and bullet proof. 8 cylinders are not everything
Yep. Love the torque of an inline engine.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Palo Duro becomes in oven in the summer. The canyons walls absorb heat all day, and don't cool off much at night. I would suggest going sooner than later in the summer. We went in September, got there at about 5. Set up the trailer as quick as we could to get into the ac and packed up early the next morning as it was already miserable. Beautiful place but need to go at the right times. IMHO

Reactions: roots66

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Palo Duro becomes in oven in the summer. The canyons walls absorb heat all day, and don't cool off much at night. I would suggest going sooner than later in the summer. We went in September, got there at about 5. Set up the trailer as quick as we could to get into the ac and packed up early the next morning as it was already miserable. Beautiful place but need to go at the right times. IMHO
Good advice

Maverick1701

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tiedemann
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KBG
If you are near palo duro canyon, you can hit up the canadian river just north of amarillo. there are a ton of trails out there with plenty of land to explore.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Maverick1701

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tiedemann
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KBG
I have passed by there and seen the trails. Looks like a great place to have some fun. Do you need a sticker for that area?
yes sir. the texas OHV sticker is all you need. The rosita creek flats area is national park but all the websites I read claim you only need the texas ohv sticker (it's all I have ever had & I have never had any issues)