Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Any one planning on overlanding at pins this spring? My wife and i are planning on going in may to try to use our red fish tags that come with our all water licenses. I havent been to the coast since hurricaine ike destroyed my home on crystal beach. If anyone shows up we will be at the very south end of the beach where normal vehicles cant go.
We will also be bringing metal detectors to do some treasure hunting supposedly there was a guy back before the civil war who was a business owner that lives on the island when war broke out he was forced to move off the island, bedore he did as legend goes he buried a chest of gold bars in the sand bar and when he came to retrieve it the dunes had moved and he couldnt remember where it was. Ive been loking for it for the last 35 years.

wanderingbearoffroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Anna, TX
Member #

Any one planning on overlanding at pins this spring? My wife and i are planning on going in may to try to use our red fish tags that come with our all water licenses. I havent been to the coast since hurricaine ike destroyed my home on crystal beach. If anyone shows up we will be at the very south end of the beach where normal vehicles cant go.
We will also be bringing metal detectors to do some treasure hunting supposedly there was a guy back before the civil war who was a business owner that lives on the island when war broke out he was forced to move off the island, bedore he did as legend goes he buried a chest of gold bars in the sand bar and when he came to retrieve it the dunes had moved and he couldnt remember where it was. Ive been loking for it for the last 35 years.
My wife and I have considered going out there for her spring break the week of March 11th. Still trying to get the details ironed out though.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

My wife and I have considered going out there for her spring break the week of March 11th. Still trying to get the details ironed out though.
It will be packed shoulder to shoulder if you go on spring break, it gets pretty crazy down on the coast, if your into the partying go over to crystal beach area it gets super crazy there around that time.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

When camping on the beach you have to time it for the sweet spot. Winter you get jelly fish and man o wars everywhere, early spring is good if your not going during spring break, late spring you get the skeeters, summer is hot with heavy skeeters, fall can get tricky being hurricaine season plus gators start coming out and you still have thick skeeters. Id say april to early june is best time to be down there.

chapa.VK56

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

When camping on the beach you have to time it for the sweet spot. Winter you get jelly fish and man o wars everywhere, early spring is good if your not going during spring break, late spring you get the skeeters, summer is hot with heavy skeeters, fall can get tricky being hurricaine season plus gators start coming out and you still have thick skeeters. Id say april to early june is best time to be down there.
Hey, I’m not from Texas but I have made San Antonio, Texas my home!
My question come from all the weird things you mentioned that we could find at PINS…
So, long story short: What are Man-O-Wars and Skeeters!?
(You definitely have some weird insects here in Texas!)

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Man o wars are known to the general public as jelly fish but they are actually a collection of poisonous organisms grouped together, if you touch one you will have to go to the hospital they are much worse than jelly fish.
Skeeters im sure you have encountered if youve spent a summer in texas they are mosquitos.

chapa.VK56

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ohhh, well we have a lot of those in Puerto Rico, just never heard of them by that name!
Being that we have so much access to wonderful beaches in PR, I’m looking forward to doing some truck camping down at PINS.
I’m in dire need of some beach action…thanks for the clarification!

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Last time I was at PINS was a couple years ago in Nov. The weather was perfect and the beach was empty...at least at Big Shell Beach.
I certainly want to go again this year, but not going to be anywhere there during Spring Break.

Tray

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Tray
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WB5TRA
Just friendly advice, don’t get caught metal detecting on Federal lands, they can hit you both criminally and civilly.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

We are planning right now to go down to PINS during December. I am hoping for a warm spell so we can experience beach camping there. We went down to Bolivar Peninsula last year and it was ok but the wife wanted some place a little cleaner. lol.

ninjacop

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Burleson, TX, USA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Wickson
Member #

We are planning right now to go down to PINS during December. I am hoping for a warm spell so we can experience beach camping there. We went down to Bolivar Peninsula last year and it was ok but the wife wanted some place a little cleaner. lol.
Really? My cousin and I were wanting to do PINS around that time as well. Any idea on time frame yet?

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Really? My cousin and I were wanting to do PINS around that time as well. Any idea on time frame yet?
With my time off its looking like (weather permitting. We aren't going if its extremely cold) we will be heading down Dec 26-30. Be cool to have others there as well.