Rank II

Enthusiast I

Washington, USA
First Name
Loren
Last Name
VanWagner
Member #

Hey everyone, I'm looking into making a trip out to eastern Oregon for several days on the Owyhee Discovery Trail

Does anyone out there have a route you can share with a GPX file I can import into GAIA by chance...this would save me some time trying to map it out manually.

cheers!

Loren

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Hi Loren,
I'll see if I have the flyer on the Owyhee Back Country route. Normally I start people in Grasmere, ID and exit in Jordan Valley, OR. 99% of the back country route is in Owyhee County, Idaho. Back to you in the morning, when I return home and check the map file.
David

Reactions: NerfHerder78

NerfHerder78

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Washington, USA
First Name
Loren
Last Name
VanWagner
Member #

Hi Loren,
I'll see if I have the flyer on the Owyhee Back Country route. Normally I start people in Grasmere, ID and exit in Jordan Valley, OR. 99% of the back country route is in Owyhee County, Idaho. Back to you in the morning, when I return home and check the map file.
David
Right on! thanks!

NerfHerder78

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Washington, USA
First Name
Loren
Last Name
VanWagner
Member #

Hi Loren,
David

I'm trying to follow this route but you have to subscribe to get the map link, Overland trail Guide I was hoping someone on the forums had the file they could share. I could then just plug it into Gaia. if not, I will just make my own I guess...

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Hi Loren,
David

I'm trying to follow this route but you have to subscribe to get the map link, Overland trail Guide I was hoping someone on the forums had the file they could share. I could then just plug it into Gaia. if not, I will just make my own I guess...
That is a Google link, not an OB link. Copy it, and paste it in to a new Browser link… or shoot me your email address and I’ll rebuild that route and why…. David

shrdt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Spfd Oredgon
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hardt
We just got back from there. Just be make sure you go when it is dry. We had just a little bit of rain and instantly turned into a nasty sticky mud that fills your treads and makes your tires slick and takes forever to get off your truck. If you want I can send you our route but it starts from my town. Places we visited include Devils Gate, Three Finger Rock, Bog Hot Springs, Pillars Of Rome, Shirk Ranch, and the Glass House.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Just so everyone's aware, the road that hoes over the mountains, passed Silver City was closed as of last weekend. When I spoke to the Owyhee county office in charge of the road, they weren't sure when it would open.

You may want to call the Owyhee county commissioners office to check the status of the road.

Reactions: M Rose

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
We just got back from there. Just be make sure you go when it is dry. We had just a little bit of rain and instantly turned into a nasty sticky mud that fills your treads and makes your tires slick and takes forever to get off your truck. If you want I can send you our route but it starts from my town. Places we visited include Devils Gate, Three Finger Rock, Bog Hot Springs, Pillars Of Rome, Shirk Ranch, and the Glass House.
Hi There!

Is there any chance you can upload the track to the Downloadable section of this website?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Those of you that haven’t paid for a subscription for the app… this a very good reason to do so… part
If not most of the rout is on OB1

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

I concur with Mike that you should have that App on your phone, it works off-line and 85% of the Owyhee Uplands National Back Country Byway is without cell service. If you google if official name it should pull-up an article that Pete Zimowsky wrote on July 1 1993. Attached is a link to the BLM guide with maps and notes. In the 88 LandCruiser I had to pack two Jerry Cans of fuel. It's 111.5 miles from your start in Jordon Valley to completion at Grandview. But you have to get to Jordan Valley, first. and then the return. When it's wet, that gumbo clay is slick.
Pete also wrote a 9 page guide on "5 Ways to Explore the Owyhee Canyonlands Wilderness" 2/18/2016
OwyBywayGuide_2016_web.pdf (blm.gov)

Last edited: