Overnight power

• HTML tutorial

Maximus_Offroad

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Hey everyone, I am curious what everyone uses for power for say a portable refrigerator overnight. I usually use a portable power source but of course I spend most of the next day with it charging up. I could buy a larger power source but wanted to hear any other setups y’all might be running

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have an 138ah Lithium Battery with a 100W solar panel connected to it and a REDARC DC-DC charger so if the solar isn't getting it done I can just start my truck and get a quick charge. The battery alone will run my fridge for 3-4 days without being charged.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I have a second battery under the hood that powers all of my accessories and my trailer. This battery is charged via solar or the vehicle's alternator once underway.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I always used a 100w solar panel w/ an 80AH AGM battery. Even parked for 2 days I've never came close to going low on power. Single battery, no dual battery setup. Of course the fridge has a low voltage cutoff and I always have a jump pack w/ me. But never needed it.

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
I always used a 100w solar panel w/ an 80AH AGM battery. Even parked for 2 days I've never came close to going low on power. Single battery, no dual battery setup. Of course the fridge has a low voltage cutoff and I always have a jump pack w/ me. But never needed it.
How does the solar panel do even when it's slightly cloudy, maybe even rainy? Does it still charge enough?

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

How does the solar panel do even when it's slightly cloudy, maybe even rainy? Does it still charge enough?
I don't remember the exact input on those days. But, on the flipside if it's cloudy or rainy it's not as hot so the compressor isn't running as hard. I've got a new rig now and ditched the fridge.

Reactions: GBGCR4x4

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
There are loads of commercial choices for solar generators that can be charged by your tow vehicle while driving and by a solar panel or even a gas genny while in camp. Look up solar generators on YouTube and you will be swimming in choices. You can also look at building your own at 1/3 to 1/4 the cost, if you are willing to "school up" on the technology. If the DIY piques your interest, look up Will Prowse on YouTube...

Reactions: Ebbs

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We run a Jackery 1000 in our WJ and it keeps the drawer fridge running for a biit over two days with no charging. We have 200 watts of portable solar power, though we most often do not get into camp until dark and being in washinton its often cloudy, so not as much help as you would think. Biggest downfall with the Jackery is the extra space it takes up. On our JK project we are going with a Redarc manager 30 with DC/DC charging and a 100ah lithium battery mounted under the cabinetry we are building. will easily charge the battery back if driving ever day, and if camp will accept the portable solar panels. will have plenty extra power for the elec blanket in the winter also:) I expect the best part is allways on board and out of sight

Reactions: jrlombard