Overlanding with disability & gear recommendations

• HTML tutorial

Hefty Smurf

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Hey guys, I'm looking to get into Overlanding with my husband. While I'm 100% physically, he has only about 60-70% use of his right arm. We used to love camping before life got in the way. Now that our son is going off to college I'm looking for a way to bring him back into the outdoors. We're just looking for easy/ easy-ish trails. He can still drive so we'll be sharing those duties. So any tips you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

We're also "building" our rig. We have a Z71 Silverado and have no plans for anything but simple mods, ie upgrading to 5100 Bilsteins and MAYBE rock sliders. So the gear help I need is suggestions for my recovery bag, Viair 400p auto or ARB equivalent compressor, easy to set up tent for 2 people and a dog, stuff like that. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give. Good journeys!

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Hey guys, I'm looking to get into Overlanding with my husband. While I'm 100% physically, he has only about 60-70% use of his right arm. We used to love camping before life got in the way. Now that our son is going off to college I'm looking for a way to bring him back into the outdoors. We're just looking for easy/ easy-ish trails. He can still drive so we'll be sharing those duties. So any tips you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

We're also "building" our rig. We have a Z71 Silverado and have no plans for anything but simple mods, ie upgrading to 5100 Bilsteins and MAYBE rock sliders. So the gear help I need is suggestions for my recovery bag, Viair 400p auto or ARB equivalent compressor, easy to set up tent for 2 people and a dog, stuff like that. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give. Good journeys!
I hear the RTT (Roof Top Tent) is super easy to set up (like 2 minutes). That might be a good option if your going 5o set it up without your husband. Also, you can leave the sleeping stuff in it so you don't have to carry over everything.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

Being that there are PHYSICAL limitations involved, a RTT might not be such a good idea. Climbing that ladder, or descending it means use of your arms for stabilization. Also...a dog[emoji2] will appreciate mom and dad sharing a place with them, not exiled to alternate sleeping quarters.

A ground tent....quality....is probably your best bet. Finding the one for your travels will require some research. Amazon has lots, from many users. But they have real reviews, and that is a good resource to use.
I have the Vivair 88p compressor. I put it in a 400 rd ammo can. Waterproof, and better than a bag. Has room for the optional hose extension.
Buy a recovery strap at minimum, or better yet a BUBBA ROPE or equivalent. Depending on your vehicle...a couple of shackles ...steel or soft style.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Hefty Smurf

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Thanks for the recommendations. My recovery bag has 20’ and 8’ snatch straps and 2 3/4” shackles, to start. Still looking at compressors. Since weight is not a concern I’m thinking a tent from Costco will do- not too expensive and if my husband decides overlanding isn’t going to workout, I pass it on.

Enthusiast III

Thompson-Nicola Regional District, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Masters
Member #

Thanks for the recommendations. My recovery bag has 20’ and 8’ snatch straps and 2 3/4” shackles, to start. Still looking at compressors. Since weight is not a concern I’m thinking a tent from Costco will do- not too expensive and if my husband decides overlanding isn’t going to workout, I pass it on.
Look for the quick pitch tents that Colman makes, they are easy to set up, I think Costco has them, not the best all weather tents, but it’s a start.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Look for the quick pitch tents that Colman makes, they are easy to set up, I think Costco has them, not the best all weather tents, but it’s a start.
A quality 3 season is easiest to find. Ventalation issues,seem to be,the biggest concern. This is especially true with 4 season, as they get hot in summer use. 2nd comes waterproof design. Some are better than others. This is where people reviews,are so important. COST...3 season...run the gamut. 4 season tents are more $$, but price is not a guarantee.

Since this will be used out of a vehicle, go big. Get one with some reasonable headroom. The newer dome types in a 4-5 person size have that. In tent design 3=2, 4=3, and 5=4, in how many they c an fit. Sardine sleeping is not comfortable. Also aluminum poles are more durable than fiberglass.
You did not price your cost expectation for a vehicle tent. The one in the OB store gets good reviews. It had been on sale before Xmas. It has the headroom..(YAH)...to stand-up in. A very important concession to us that are older. Wind resistance is a big factor also with the CABIN style.

Your dog will appreciate the 4=3 at minimum. But being a vehicle toted tent, I think a 5=4 arrangement will be the most comfortable, and most will accommodate 2 sleeping cots.

I hope more people chime in on this thread. I'm not an expert, and quality...QC....is a very important part of deciding cost vs expectations. You can only get ease of setup and breakdown from those that have them. Something that does not get as much attention as bad stitches, torn tabs, and bad zippers on fly netting.

EDIT:

The tent in the OB store is the Gazelle hub T4. On sale now at $249, for the 4 person size. Claims it has a generous gear storage area also. Bonus, it says a 90 second??? initial setup time. mmm maybe after a dozen or so deployments. I hope more people chime in on this thread. HINT....HINT Im sure their are other reviews that will give a real-world opinion on it.

Last edited:

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Setting up a RTT is really easy and with my current shoulder injury I can say I’m probably 70% with my left arm with respect to strength. I could probably do it with only one arm if I really tried. If you put one on your truck bed the ladder accent/decent is greatly reduced. I would not write it off as a good option as the increased comfort is definitely worth it.

Small dogs are fine in a RTT. Just comes down to the dogs size/personality I guess. Our mini Aussie wants to be in the RTT. The Malamute is pissed off if he is anywhere but simply tied to the bumper.

As far as compressor, I’m a CO2 guy now and moving towards a York underhood. I’ve never used a really nice 12 v only cheap crap that I feel is near useless.

• Haha

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I don't have any specific product recommendations but more general. My wife has a medical condition that can sometimes rear it's ugly head and cause physical activity to be exhausting. Our general rule of thumb is that every thing we get she has to be comfortable using it. We usually try to keep weight at a minimum not so much for vehicle but for ease of use for her. We completely changed our way of camping and do a kinda hybrid overland if you will. We have a pop up trailer that we use as a base camp. This works well as it is easy enough for me to open it up but more importantly once open very easy for her to set it up. She is a very hands on person so when she is having a bad physical day it takes a toll mentally because she feels as though she is a burden. By making sure everything thing is something she can generally use ( we plan to put in the electrical lift for our pop up for this reason) her frustration of camping has gone way down and is more willing to go. This also goes the other way when my shoulder and hip( from previous bad injuries) act up. If your husband is like my wife then the more they are involved in the situation the happier they are and more inclined to do it again.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Ask some of the outfitters company s as they can have things not on there list of products. Things like a "T" handles for cords on tents and easy-hold grabbers that move the fulcrum to your forearm ..There is a place in Fountain Valley , Ca. has a lot of things like that, Accurate Healthcare Supplies