Influencer II

Austin, Texas, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Hello,

I have a Scion IA and I am thinking of Overlanding with it. Anyone have any experience with Overlanding and going on trails with a sedan? Yes, I know it sounds crazy but I am still saving for a proper 4x4 rig hahaha.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Ground clearance and exposed things like exhaust and oil pans are the main issues.
But if you are cuatious, pick the correct line, sure you can overland anything.
I followed a Ford Tempo over a power line summit a few years ago.
He had no problems.

I think there is a club for Prius owners who "overland"
After ground clearance, weight will be your biggest issue.
Pack like a back packer, if you and the wife cannot fit everything into back packs and hike with it.... you are likely taking too much stuff.

Last edited:

eProtocol

Rank V

Influencer II

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ground clearance and exposed things like exhaust and oil pans are the main issues.
But if you are cuatious, pick the correct line, sure you can overland anything.
I followed a Ford Tempo over a power line summit a few years ago.
He had no problems.

I think there is a club for Prius owners who "overland"
After ground clearance, weight will be your biggest issue.
Pack like a back packer, if you and the wife cannot fit everything into back packs and hike with it.... you are likely taking too much stuff.
True, would look a bit strange if I put a 3" lift on my car haha. Only thing I would put would be a roof rack with some gas and water cans

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I surprised the heck out of a Jeep guy one time driving a Chevrolet Corsica on some trails near Ruidoso, NM.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
...Only thing I would put would be a roof rack with some gas and water cans
Depending where you want to go, you may not need either fuel or water cans, and putting on a roof rack adds weight, increases CoG height, adds wind resistance, and is in general something to be avoided unless really needed. On one of our "big trips" we needed more fuel than the standard tank could handle only once in 49,000 Km. The Scion has a range of about 600 Km. There are few trajectories in the Americas where you need more than this. It's good to have water, however unless you're going to be out of range of a tap for a week you can carry enough potable water in a couple of big bottles in the boot/trunk.

Reactions: eProtocol

eProtocol

Rank V

Influencer II

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Davis
Member #

...Only thing I would put would be a roof rack with some gas and water cans
That’s true as well, gas is definitely more valuable if you can pack some water bottles.
Depending where you want to go, you may not need either fuel or water cans, and putting on a roof rack adds weight, increases CoG height, adds wind resistance, and is in general something to be avoided unless really needed. On one of our "big trips" we needed more fuel than the standard tank could handle only once in 49,000 Km. The Scion has a range of about 600 Km. There are few trajectories in the Americas where you need more than this. It's good to have water, however unless you're going to be out of range of a tap for a week you can carry enough potable water in a couple of big bottles in the boot/trunk.

JonnyAppleseed

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Francis
Funny the prius was mentioned, I do believe the IB and the prus/prius C share common suspension components. Maybe the IA does as well. There is in fact a lift kit for both the Prius and prius C, both available from a crazy russian company on EBAY. I will say camping in a prius is something I'm pretty well versed in. They're very comfortable as the back makes into a nice bed, theres a hatch tent for it, and you can sleep in the air conditioning for less than a gallon of gas everey night. the gas motor only kicks on every once in a while. I just use backpacking stuff to save space. It's due to this I'm working on a battery setup to run a 12 volt air conditioner for my explorer to make the sleeping situation much more comfortable.