Overlanding in Wyoming - Suggestions

• HTML tutorial

Nate Romero

Rank IV

Influencer II

So been in Colorado most of my life but have yet to explore Wyoming till now. Got a couple of guys from work that want to do a trip there but I am just unsure of really where to go. We were wanting to stay more southern but open to suggestions. Would also like to keep it mild but here is a list of the rigs at the moment. 3rd gen dodge, 2nd gen Tacoma on 33"s, and brand new 4runner offroad package. TIA for any suggestions

Reactions: Wy_Overland

Wy_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fremont County, Wyoming, United States
First Name
James
Last Name
Goss
Member #

So been in Colorado most of my life but have yet to explore Wyoming till now. Got a couple of guys from work that want to do a trip there but I am just unsure of really where to go. We were wanting to stay more southern but open to suggestions. Would also like to keep it mild but here is a list of the rigs at the moment. 3rd gen dodge, 2nd gen Tacoma on 33"s, and brand new 4runner offroad package. TIA for any suggestions
Depends on what your looking for. The snowies are a great place for mountain and forest trails. Also more west of the snowies is the red desert and that's a lot fun as well.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Depends on what your looking for. The snowies are a great place for mountain and forest trails. Also more west of the snowies is the red desert and that's a lot fun as well.
where in the Snowies? Between Centennial and the divide?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Nate Romero

Lots of Options, as others have mentioned the Medicine Bow /Snowy Mtns has lots of opportunities. I've just started exploring there my self in the last few years. Be sure to grab a current trail map as there are a few no motorized vehicles areas which were not well marked on the ground when I was there. Looking back at my notes North of Wy 130 on FR 103 was some nice camping and hikes up to Dipper and the Twin Lakes. ( http://open-mvum.com / Wyoming State Parks, Historic Sites, & Trails - ORV Maps ) The Beartree Tavern & Cafe, in addition to good food, has a sun deck out back, one corner of which had the best AT&T voice /data service speeds in the Area (Verizon had better coverage, both cut out as soon as you started climbing 130 west from town). The Trading Post saloon on the north side of the street had amazing Shrimp and Grits on the menu. (beats any of the Creole places I've been in Colorado!).

The Sierra Range on the CO border due South of Rawlins is a remote and enjoyable place to explore. I've generally explored this area up from North Park rather than down from Wy. lots of side roads to wander down. Bring a chainsaw even later in the season as you will likely come across dead-fall.

The Larime Range West of Glendo used to offer some good overlanding options. Might still be some exploring to be had back there. Last time I was through was 2015/2016 and it looked like it is being filled in by houses.
Actually the North end of Glendo Res. offers some great places to camp and test out your deep sand skills / gear. Fishing and wildlife were plentiful last time through.

Boort