Rank III

Enthusiast II

North Augusta, SC, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

I am planning to attend Overland Expo East for the first time in October. I’ve never attended either one and am new to overlanding. Anything I should expect or prepare for? Any do’s or don’ts? I appreciate any input.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Another Brent here! I went to expo west for the first time this year, and it was amazing! I’ve never been to the expo east, but if it’s like west, expect to do a LOT of walking. And be prepared to spend more money than you had planned, there is so mu really cool stuff you never knew you needed. You’re going to have a blast!

Halfbreed_Ovrlandr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evans, GA
Member #

Hey Brent, we are heading out on Thursday and plan on stopping at Uwharrie National Forrest the night before and camping (it's about half way to the Expo) then driving up to VA the next day for the show. Not sure if you are doing the weekend camping or not but its a blast. Well last year was a total mud fest but it was still fun hanging out with friends and meeting new people. Definitely bring money if you plan on stocking up on new gear etc....

ODOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Madison Heights, VA, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Nice!! going to be my first time too!! I opted out of camping as I live only 30 minutes away.. but starting to think thats a bad decision.. I am new also and have no idea what to expect but cannot wait to go! Probably going Saturday and Sunday..

Spike in NC

Rank 0

Contributor I

North Carolina
First Name
Spike
Last Name
Bachman
I've been to 3 East events. It should go without saying, but pay attention to the weather for the location of the event and plan accordingly. (esp. muck boots if wet)

This year I think the event is under new ownership??? This makes me hopeful since logistics and management - as I experienced it - at last year's NC event was dismal.

Despite that, put on a mindset of flexibility and go-with-the-flow attitude and make your own opportunities.

Hands-on workshops are the best. (I love Joe Flowers)

Patches!!!

Don't like lines? Me either! Bring a backpack of food and drink, do things (like arriving) early and at off-peak times.

Some of the best and most interestings rigs and things are in the camping areas — walk around those if you can.

TheRealMcCoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fayetteville, TN, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
I also signed up for the three days but not camping. I want to get a feeling for how it works out.
Maybe we could meet up and introduce ourselves. I’ll be the big ugly guy!