Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Olympia, WA
First Name
Hannah
Last Name
Lee
Member #

I'm planning on heading out to Overland Expo Mountain at the end of August. I'm giving myself two days to get there. But taking a week coming back. I plan on leaving Washington going through Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming and into Colorado. On the way back I'm planning on going through Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.

I'm looking for ideas of places to hit on the way home, great sites, detours off the beaten path. I like to camp instead of go to hotels. I want to do some fishing along the way, hike and may be taking my mountain bike. I've asked my dad to go with me. We don't get to see each other much and I thought he'd enjoy the experience.

Here is a rough map of the way there and back again.
Route to Colorado and Home.PNG

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I'm doing the same thing but then realized... Labor Day weekend falls during the week after Mountain West, so I am going for 10 days before the expo and 2 days to get home after. I'm going solo but my co-pilot is my dog Maximus. WIfe is going on a seperate vacation with friends in June.

I am doing 11 peaks over 11k' before Mountain West. Leaving Lubbock, staying in ALBQ, then 3 days in Ouray for Alpine Loop, Imogene, Cinnamon, Engineer, California and Ophir passes. Then a days drive through to Black Canyon at Gunnison and staying in either Glenwood Springs on I-70 or Idaho Springs closer to Breckenridge. Then Mt Evans Scenic Byway at 14k'+ Estes Park and then onto Loveland, Fall River Pass and then to the expo. On my way home I will stay somewhere nice to unwind and then head home after a day or two. Summits I am shooting for:

Cinnamon Pass, summit elevation: 12,640 ft.
Hurricane Pass, summit elevation: 12,730 ft.
Engineer Pass, summit elevation: 12,800 ft.
California Pass, summit elevation: 12,960 ft.
Hermit Pass, summit elevation: 13,047 ft.
Imogene Pass, summit elevation: 13,117 ft.
Ophir Pass, summit elevation: 11,976 ft. (and then the obvious stop at Brown Dog Pizza in Telluride)
Jones Mountain Summit, summit elevation: 11,332 ft.
Grand Mesa Pass, summit elevation: 12,683 ft.
Fall River Pass, summit elevation: 11,796 ft.
Mt Evans Scenic Bypass, summit elevation: 14,140 ft.

I will do Pikes Peak only if traffic is not horrendous AND the road to the top is actually open. They were running buses to the top for part of last year due to construction. No dogs allowed on the bus.
Pikes Peak Highway, summit elevation: 14,115 ft.

Reactions: pnwexplorer

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm doing the same thing but then realized... Labor Day weekend falls during the week after Mountain West, so I am going for 10 days before the expo and 2 days to get home after. I'm going solo but my co-pilot is my dog Maximus. WIfe is going on a seperate vacation with friends in June.

I am doing 11 peaks over 11k' before Mountain West. Leaving Lubbock, staying in ALBQ, then 3 days in Ouray for Alpine Loop, Imogene, Cinnamon, Engineer, California and Ophir passes. Then a days drive through to Black Canyon at Gunnison and staying in either Glenwood Springs on I-70 or Idaho Springs closer to Breckenridge. Then Mt Evans Scenic Byway at 14k'+ Estes Park and then onto Loveland, Fall River Pass and then to the expo. On my way home I will stay somewhere nice to unwind and then head home after a day or two. Summits I am shooting for:

Ophir Pass, summit elevation: 11,976 ft. (and then the obvious stop at Brown Dog Pizza in Telluride)

I will do Pikes Peak only if traffic is not horrendous AND the road to the top is actually open. They were running buses to the top for part of last year due to construction. No dogs allowed on the bus.
Pikes Peak will be open at the end of august, if the hill climb challenge series is over.

Reactions: USStrongman

pnwexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Olympia, WA
First Name
Hannah
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Sounds like a great trip. I think I'm bringing my dog but am not sure yet. Depends if my wife is coming or not.

I'm going to look into all those peaks though.

Reactions: USStrongman

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Pikes Peak was open last year, but they were running shuttle service due to the construction of the gift shop/concessions on top. Little to no parking so they closed it to thru traffic. I'm not shuttle and tourist friendly. Even if I was, their website says no dogs on shuttles. SO I could drive part way up... and not be allowed on the shuttle. My Big Fella is my co-pilot.

Reactions: pnwexplorer

Jeremy Cobb

Rank 0

Contributor I

So you're going the 10 days prior to Expo or the 10 days after? If you go after you could utilize the 3 day Labor day weekend.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Before. I don't do crowds. I want to avoid being on the road over the holiday weekend.After this whole "Rona issue, its going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I re-read this and see the OP got lost in my comments.

In short, @pnwexplorer If it were me, I'd make the loop out of Puyallup and head around through White Pass and then south to catch your original route through central/eastern Oregon. I love the drive through White Pass. Lots of biking and hiking opportunities on the quieter side of the mountain for sure.

Twin Falls has soem neat areas too.

Then there is Craters of the Moon NP that has a ton of opportunities too. It's a pretty surreal place.

I miss being able to travel in 1 hour in any direction and be somewhere amazing. The PNW has everything you could want. I miss it. Hope to meet you in Loveland.

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman

And this is why I moved to CO from FL. We got married in Breck and have ran each of the passes you mentioned and were fortunate to be down in Telluride/Ouray areas 3 different times last summer. Some were short day trips (ex. Pikes Peak, Fall River, Mt Evans). Sounds like a nice plan you have there but you're missing Black Bear Pass! I live 20 minutes from where the expo will be, still debating whether I'll camp there or just drive up each day.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

And this is why I moved to CO from FL. We got married in Breck and have ran each of the passes you mentioned and were fortunate to be down in Telluride/Ouray areas 3 different times last summer. Some were short day trips (ex. Pikes Peak, Fall River, Mt Evans). Sounds like a nice plan you have there but you're missing Black Bear Pass! I live 20 minutes from where the expo will be, still debating whether I'll camp there or just drive up each day.
I want to add Black Bear but really feel my skill level needs a spotter and since I am going solo, I didn't include it. If I run into anyone else running it while in Ouray, It will be on my list!

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
I want to add Black Bear but really feel my skill level needs a spotter and since I am going solo, I didn't include it. If I run into anyone else running it while in Ouray, It will be on my list!
you shouldn't have a problem tagging along with someone as there are so many people daily going down it. Just hang out at the summit until you see a group come up that you'd like to join. We had a couple tag along with us when we went down last Sept.

Not to put any pressure on you, as that's not my intention, and you should do what you feel comfortable doing, but my wife drove her stock (other than wheels and tires) '18 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk down Black Bear last year with me and the 2 large dogs. I only got out in 1 place to guide her and that was only because she saw the pics of the 4runner that flipped over a couple weeks prior. Other than that, she followed the vehicle in front of her and let the jeep do its thing crawling down in hill descent & rock mode. I sat there taking pictures and listening for any crunch noises which didn't happen.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

you shouldn't have a problem tagging along with someone as there are so many people daily going down it. Just hang out at the summit until you see a group come up that you'd like to join. We had a couple tag along with us when we went down last Sept.

Not to put any pressure on you, as that's not my intention, and you should do what you feel comfortable doing, but my wife drove her stock (other than wheels and tires) '18 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk down Black Bear last year with me and the 2 large dogs. I only got out in 1 place to guide her and that was only because she saw the pics of the 4runner that flipped over a couple weeks prior. Other than that, she followed the vehicle in front of her and let the jeep do its thing crawling down in hill descent & rock mode. I sat there taking pictures and listening for any crunch noises which didn't happen.
I'm not concerned about the driving portion, its just the not being able to see portion! I will more than likely meet someone or someones and do Black Bear. It is as important to run that as is Engineer for me.

Reactions: Kent R

Heartland Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

I'm not concerned about the driving portion, its just the not being able to see portion! I will more than likely meet someone or someones and do Black Bear. It is as important to run that as is Engineer for me.
I am trying to get out to the area around the same time. I hit all the major trails last year except for Black Bear and Poughkeepsie. If I see that I am able to make it around that time maybe we can get together and knock out Black Bear and some others.