Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

Anyone know why they want so much information on the military discount form? Wanting to be able to verify someone's service status/eligibility is one thing, but I'm not sure why they need to know what base you're stationed at and who your supervisor is.

If anyone has any information on this, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Thanks!

Reactions: Kent R

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
The last two years I've submitted all of the information they requested and got my discount code within a few hours...

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Anyone know why they want so much information on the military discount form? Wanting to be able to verify someone's service status/eligibility is one thing, but I'm not sure why they need to know what base you're stationed at and who your supervisor is.

Thanks!
Best thing to do is email Overland Expo they are fairly responsive. Contact — Overland Expo®

Reactions: JeepGuy91

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)

Thanks!
Fraud has been rampant for decades. The last three years of my career I supervised retirements, and separations. It starts while in service and continues after separation. Then I worked in retail and folks were using ID cards that did not belong to them, cards that were issued when they were children, and cards that were printed and laminated at the kitchen table. Smoke a joint, steel some equipment, beat your division Officer, get thrown out or jailed and five years later ask for a discount to save $3.65 in taxes. LMAO.
My opinion is this. My family and I served and defended our Country since the Civil War. I considered it a honor, and my duty. I was paid well, received housing and health care, and my family were well cared for. I appreciate the offer, but I'm good. Send the 10% to the homeless shelter.
Zim

Reactions: Ubiety

JeepGuy91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, MN, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
L
Member #

Thanks!
Fraud has been rampant for decades. The last three years of my career I supervised retirements, and separations. It starts while in service and continues after separation. Then I worked in retail and folks were using ID cards that did not belong to them, cards that were issued when they were children, and cards that were printed and laminated at the kitchen table. Smoke a joint, steel some equipment, beat your division Officer, get thrown out or jailed and five years later ask for a discount to save $3.65 in taxes. LMAO.
My opinion is this. My family and I served and defended our Country since the Civil War. I considered it a honor, and my duty. I was paid well, received housing and health care, and my family were well cared for. I appreciate the offer, but I'm good. Send the 10% to the homeless shelter.
Zim
Just throwing this out there: I have a friend who is wholeheartedly against accepting military discounts because he feels he doesn't deserve them. I offered up a similar idea, that he should accept them, and then put the savings towards whatever charity means the most to him.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Just throwing this out there: I have a friend who is wholeheartedly against accepting military discounts because he feels he doesn't deserve them. I offered up a similar idea, that he should accept them, and then put the savings towards whatever charity means the most to him.
Disclaimer: I did take the free License Plates from Missouri. Personalized plates cost and I got them for free. I think I paid $35 for the registration. LOL.
Sometimes I think sometimes I sound like a prude but when I saw this problem in action it changed me. My Nephew is a ex Army helicopter pilot turned PTSD Psychologist who just retired from the VA. He told me 65% of the PTSD claims were bullshit, and most claims were not even close to battle, explosions, view of the battlefield or even in some cases in Country. Crazy. He now is one of the senior NFL Doctors for CTE.
Thanks Alex
Zim

Reactions: JeepGuy91

Gladiator Overland

Rank IV

Explorer I

Cherry Log, Fannin County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Fry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4VYV
Service Branch
Air Force / Army
I just filled out to beat ability. With my TBI and retiring almost 8years ago I can’t even remember my last supervisor. Regardless, it takes less than a few minutes to fill out. I believe it’s more of a to keep honest people honest than burdening us. I got a response within half an hour with the code.

As far as your friend indeed talk to him about taking the discount and putting back the amount and returning it to the Veteran community.

Myself, I’ll take what I can get. It helps reach my goals being unable to work and living on retirement alone. Allows me to get out and do the thing I want to do. I appreciate the sentiment of people and businesses who support vets. Many of whom in the defense industry definitely profited btw off of our service.

Reactions: Ebbs