Overland Bound Cache 1 (OBC1): You Gotta Go!

• HTML tutorial

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
OBC1:

WARNING! Snakes, Spiders and Scorpions all around
....Ask how I know LOL.

This one is: You Gotta Go!, It is buried.

Located at: N 38.778870, W 118.262654

Hint: under a step.

The Mine is a real gem! This small mercury mining camp is tucked away in a bowl-shaped canyon. The only information I’ve found so far states that the mine was started in 1929 and was worked until at least 1944. A Boy Scout troop has adopted the mining camp and maintained the cabins. However it looks like they don’t get out there very often.

Some History:
The primary mineshaft has a headframe which is beginning to lean quite a bit and may soon fall if someone doesn’t find a way to support it. Until a few years ago there was a shack near the headframe, but someone burned it down, leaving only a concrete foundation filled with ash and debris. There are also a couple of older shafts, a retort and a other items.

The camp has three cabins which are in great condition. Sturdy wooden platforms have been built for use as beds, so you’re not sleeping directly on the floor. There is no glass in the windows, and only one cabin has a front door, but in this hot, dry climate that’s not a bad thing.

Having a place to sleep up off the ground is almost imperative at this site. I have never seen so many scorpions and camel spiders in one place before! At night, the ground here is just crawling with creepy critters!

Side note: Yes that is a giant green tree nearby, go visit it, it is fed by a natural spring. Only tree or green for hundreds of miles.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt L.