Launch Member

Influencer II

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Gowan
Member #

I'm sure this isn't going to be a popular post - but I have a sense that some of you out there fall into the same category as my wife and I.

We love the idea of getting out on the trails, building our trail driving skills, seeing the beautiful outdoors, and attempting some photography along the way. However, campers, we are not. Not opposed to it, mind you. It just isn't something we are accustomed to, and would rather end the night at a hotel or some-such thing.

Primarily, I'd like to plan such an event within a few hours of LA. Wife and I are still new to this, and would love to meet as many of the community as we can. So, if you dig the concept let me know and we'll put something together.

Also, we are somewhat new to the area, so if you know of any routes that would cater to this idea, please let me know.

As far as accommodations, we can do anything from a motel 6, resort, or fancy hotel. We just like the idea of trails during the day, hotel at night.

Feel free to chastise me, or burn me as a heretic (or commend me for being brave enough to admit that hotels are possible in overlanding). I'm sure it will make for entertaining banter.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Please return your membership at your earliest convenience. :grinning: JK. You should check out the Big Bear area. Tons of trails and lots of lodging options. Only about 2 hours away.

• Haha
Reactions: keith.gowan

keith.gowan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Gowan
Member #

Please return your membership at your earliest convenience. :grinning: JK. You should check out the Big Bear area. Tons of trails and lots of lodging options. Only about 2 hours away.
Thanks Brett! Haven't been to Big Bear yet. I'll look into it.

Reactions: Brett L.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Thanks Brett! Haven't been to Big Bear yet. I'll look into it.
3N16 is a great trail if you're just getting started. It's relatively easy with varying scenery along the way. 3N14 is another easy trail. You should check out TrailsOffroad.com. They have lots of trails listed for free with their difficulty levels, interesting spots, etc. Definitely helped me get started with finding trails around this area.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Absolutely nothing wrong with finding a hotel. A bed and breakfast or cabin like @Smileyshaun mentioned is even better! The older I get, the more I enjoy running water. I am a firm believer in meeting the requirements of the adventure. If my destination is so far away from civilization that I need to throw the tent out to get there and back, no worries, I can do that. Sometimes a camp fire is great, sometimes room service is great too!

I wish I could offer advice on some places to go but our 'out west' trip has been put on hold due to all the shelter in place business. Hope to head that way soon.

The most important thing is to get out there and enjoy. Do whatever works for you!

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
My wife & I camped for years in either a tent attached to my truck cap or a separate ground tent. But, I've been disabled for almost 20 years now and hardcore wheeling and hardcore tent camping is something I can no longer do.

We bought a Class A Rv a couple years ago so I could get out & travel more and it's a BLAST to travel that way! But, we are still both adventure minded and really miss back country remote camping and decided to get a Jeep Cherokee that we can tow behind our motor home. That way we can have a nice base camp set up while we explore new remote places --AND-- have the ability to stop and camp with the Jeep for an overnight if we choose.

One thing for sure is I don't miss staying in motels. I literally lived in one for almost two years building my business in another state and have stayed long term is several while we found a house to buy. I couldn't care less is we ever stayed at another motel. (The one we stayed at in the mountains a couple of years ago almost broke my back because it was so uncomfortable. (nice motel too). At least in our motorhome we have the exact same mattress we sleep on at home.

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

I'm sure this isn't going to be a popular post - but I have a sense that some of you out there fall into the same category as my wife and I.

We love the idea of getting out on the trails, building our trail driving skills, seeing the beautiful outdoors, and attempting some photography along the way. However, campers, we are not. Not opposed to it, mind you. It just isn't something we are accustomed to, and would rather end the night at a hotel or some-such thing.

Primarily, I'd like to plan such an event within a few hours of LA. Wife and I are still new to this, and would love to meet as many of the community as we can. So, if you dig the concept let me know and we'll put something together.

Also, we are somewhat new to the area, so if you know of any routes that would cater to this idea, please let me know.

As far as accommodations, we can do anything from a motel 6, resort, or fancy hotel. We just like the idea of trails during the day, hotel at night.

Feel free to chastise me, or burn me as a heretic (or commend me for being brave enough to admit that hotels are possible in overlanding). I'm sure it will make for entertaining banter.
Not going to chastise or bring any negative feeling towards this but I am genuinely curious, why no camping? For me it's one of my favorite aspects of being outdoors. I love hanging out by the fire sipping on a crispy boy and staring up into the universe.

Reactions: Brett L.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

There are lots of wonderful fully catered back country experiences, most sound expensive but they are all a pretty good buy if you have not made a 6 figure investment in an RV. And you can fly there and back in a day. Here is my favourite, I have not been here in 25 years but it is the most beautiful high alpine lake with fabulous hiking trails,,,, and trail guides.

I'd call this the high end of hotels. There are thousands of less expensive routes.

maybe Heli Hiking..
CMH has expended into summer adventures after the ski season ends.

And then there is...

I know, a long ways from California but the same options exist there too, plus many more in between options.

Last edited:

keith.gowan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Gowan
Member #

Not going to chastise or bring any negative feeling towards this but I am genuinely curious, why no camping? For me it's one of my favorite aspects of being outdoors. I love hanging out by the fire sipping on a crispy boy and staring up into the universe.
At this point, it is really the need to commit & factors of comfort. We could go all out and get an overlanding trailer, but it would be hard to justify the cost this early on in our experience. Even with a tent, we are the type that would want to spend the money on the best possible product, rather than what is cheapest or most expensive. Just looking at it from an abstract, if we spend a x$ on trailer/RTT/tent and all of the extra joys like bedding and some level of shower system - how many hotel nights would that x$ amount to.

Mostly, wife and I are looking to see if there are others in the community that would be hip to such an excursion. Or if it is already a thing that some are doing, but maybe just not doing as a group.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Mostly, wife and I are looking to see if there are others in the community that would be hip to such an excursion. Or if it is already a thing that some are doing, but maybe just not doing as a group.
When I go overlanding, every few days I treat myself to something. Be it a shower, landramat, fine dining, hot springs or a night in a 5 star resort. But I'm not ever looking to do it with a group. I absolutely hate being tied to a schedule. Aimless wandering is way more fun. You'll meet way more people if you are not part of a group.

The only reason I built a trailer was so I would not need to think about finding a room every night. But if you are well organized there is no reason to carry camping gear. When I was a biker, I packed real light, sleep wear, toiletries, a change of clothes and VISA to pay for gas, a room, and meals every day.

Last edited:

keith.gowan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Gowan
Member #

Went to Anza Borrego last weekend and stayed at a neat little resort. Everything was closed at the resort, and most trails (that I know about) were closed - so we only stayed one night. But we did get off-road for quite a while and got the new jeep into its element!

Maybe Big Bear this weekend. Anyone want to roll with? Or know if it is closed down?

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Nothing wrong with a hotel once in a while.

once on a trip between Moab and back home to MN, my wife and I found an Airbnb that was on a farm in the middle of Nebraska. They had converted one of their outbuildings to a little cabin. We had to use their bathroom and shower in their house, but, it was pretty neat as I had always just driven through Nebraska without stopping.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps

Go checkout Alabama hills, off of 395. It's close to Lone Pine and I'm sure you can get a hotel room there. You can also check Anza Borrego State park, and find lodging in Borrego Springs...

Big Bear as well

keith.gowan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Gowan
Member #

Nothing wrong with a hotel once in a while.

once on a trip between Moab and back home to MN, my wife and I found an Airbnb that was on a farm in the middle of Nebraska. They had converted one of their outbuildings to a little cabin. We had to use their bathroom and shower in their house, but, it was pretty neat as I had always just driven through Nebraska without stopping.
Wife and I actually moved here from Nebraska 2 years ago. It is an interesting place with a few hidden gems. Thanks bud.

Reactions: The other Sean

keith.gowan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Omaha, NE, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Gowan
Member #

Go checkout Alabama hills, off of 395. It's close to Lone Pine and I'm sure you can get a hotel room there. You can also check Anza Borrego State park, and find lodging in Borrego Springs...

Big Bear as well
Yep, we went to Borrega last weekend. We will be going back soon! Big Bear is this weekend - I'll add Alabama hills to the roster. I've heard good things about it.

Reactions: Magic Mike

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Yep, we went to Borrega last weekend. We will be going back soon! Big Bear is this weekend - I'll add Alabama hills to the roster. I've heard good things about it.
Beautiful area, and a fun place to go..