Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Hi Everyone,
We actually got married in 2011. Because of work and issues of life this never happened.
However, a couple weeks ago we sold our pop-up tent trailer and bought a Kakadu Bushranger 200XT.

We decided last year to switch from weekend warrior jeeping for a day here and there, to overlanding.
(I've always had the explorer bug and used to check out the National Geographic magazine articles on dudes and gals traveling by truck across Africa, or South America. I've always wanted to do that. I sort of got to fill that itch with the army. The best part is my wife is all in for this too!!!!)

Last year I did the last modification to our 2005 Jeep Rubicon LJ to lighten it up from the rock crawling, and as a bonus put a Garvin Wilderness Rack on for our gear.
So because we bought the Kakadu trailer and its in BC we decided to take the LJ. It is very capable, comfortable, and fun to travel in and that's why we have it....for the adventure :grinning:

Planning, Preparing, Testing....errr....back to basics

So about 4 weeks ago we started talking about going out west to buy a Kakadu Trailer.
It's gone from a get there and get back to....screw it, book more leave and visit and explore.
Now it's a 3 week adventure give or take a few days here and there.
Thanks for the Boot Camp series, that has been a big help. There is a difference between heading out on the trail for the day and traveling across the country and back.

So we agreed to suck it up and push to get out to BC as quick as we can within reason. We decided to average between 9 to 12 hours driving time the best we can. Stay in motels along the way and get groceries as we go.

So this is a general outline of our route out there. We are take the most direct route there through Canada from Addington Highlands, Ontario to Delta BC...4502kms. I know the trip through the northern states is beautiful, shorter, and probably cheaper, but this one we wanted to keep in Canada. The trip back, anything goes after we visit everyone in BC. I really want to see the badlands in Alberta...stuff like that and just see the sights, camping all the way home.

Plus we decided to put our trip details on here, as there are not a lot of write-ups on traveling in Canada, and to hopefully meet some like minded people into overlanding. We hope to depart by the 15th of July.

Anyway, if ya all have any tips or suggestions we'd be happy to hear from you.
Cheers

Reactions: W4P

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Can anyone from British Columbia get in touch with us on here? We will be coming into BC on Tuesday next week. With all the wild fires and evacuations we don't want to get in the way nor do we want to be lumped in with "disaster tourists". We could use some intel on routes to avoid and places that are still good to go for camping as we get closer to Tuesday. We need to get to Langley and the Delta we have that part covered. My mother-in-law already told us not to come north to PG so that is out of the question right now.
I'd appreciate some intel as we get closer so that we can still enjoy some of BC away from the crowds. Cheers.