Full-Time RVers
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Knight
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HTM
Over the past few years I’ve been slowly collecting more and more off-road gear. I wrote a blog post recently about the gear we carry, but I’d love to get this group’s opinion on what we’re missing.

For context, we used to live in the Bay Area until last summer when my girlfriend and I hit the road full time in our truck and travel trailer to travel the country and visit all 400+ National Park Units. Our truck is our daily driver, tow vehicle and overlanding vehicle - since it’s half of our home we try and not do anything too crazy.

That being said, we’re doing another run across the Mojave Rd next weekend (I posted a Rally Point) and we’re not too far from LA right now so it’s a good chance for us to pick up any gear we’re missing.

I hope it’s ok for me to link to my blog here, as I’ve written down all the gear we carry. Full disclosure: most of the links are affiliate links.

Please let me know if there’s anything you think we should be carrying with us for trips like the Mojave Rd that we don’t already have listed. Thanks!

Essential Off-Road Gear

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Not bad. What I like is you hit the basics and didn't go way overkill with things you don't need. I only have one comment.

You mentioned a few times that you had certain items and your glad you never had to use them. Grab a friend, go get stuck in the sand and use your traction boards. 2wd works best for getting stuck. If you can, use your tire repair kit on some junk tire.

Often I've been with people who have to figure out how something works when they need it. Any piece of gear you have, use at home at least once. That's where you want to learn your missing a critical part.
If you really want a laugh, watch someone try to fold one of those pop up bathroom tents. The ones that fold into a series of loops. We were trying to move to our second camp. One person out of 20 knew how to fold the thing.

I wish I had the time for a trip like that.

Scott

AdventurousWay

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Full-Time RVers
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Knight
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HTM
@smritte thanks, that’s really good feedback! I’ve used the traction pads several times on other people’s rigs, just never my own.

But I’ll go through each item and make sure I’ve used it at least once - great suggestion about the tire repair kit! I thought I was going to need that a while back when I got 2 flats at once from hitting one rock, but it was sidewalk damage and the kit is no good for that. Fortunately we had enough spares between us to get us out.

Reactions: smritte